l i n u x - u s e r s - g r o u p - o f - d a v i s
L U G O D
 
Next Meeting:
December 2: Social gathering
Next Installfest:
TBD
Latest News:
Nov. 18: Club officer elections
Page last updated:
2003 Oct 06 22:00

2003.09.29 Meeting Notes


Officer's Meeting

House Agriculture, Davis

Topics

  • Projector - [Action: Henry] Mike Simons sounds like he can bring a projector from his work on a regular basis. However, due to his distance, and the possibility of not having a projector, we have decided to go ahead and purchase one.

    Bill motioned that Henry purchase a projector capable of 1024x768 resolution, at a cost not to exceed $1800 (including tax and shipping), and to arrive on or soon before October 19th (the next meeting where we need one). (This will provide us with 2, if not 3 meetings to test the projector, before having to return it if we decide to.)

    Matthew seconded. Passed unanimously. (3 for, 0 against, 1 absent).

  • Elections - [Information] Nominations will open up at the November 4th meeting and close at the November 17th meeting, when elections begin. Elections will end at the following meeting, December 2nd. (If all candidates are running unopposed, which is typical, elections will end at the Novmeber 17th meeting.)

  • Honorary Officers - [Recommendation] Henry will (again) draft an ammendment to the Bylaws which would allow for 'honorary officers,' recognized by the elected officers. The intention is that honorary officers, like appointed officers, will not have voting rights, but will be welcomed at officers meetings. Honorary officership will be indefinite, unless revoked by the elected officers.

    The other officers in attendance agreed with this motion, and the bylaw ammendment should be made at the next public meeting (October 7th).

  • Mailing Lists - [Recommendation] The making of motions on this subject was deferred until the next officers meeting. However, the consensus is that we should eliminate one of the two collections of mailing list archives. (One is handled by a procmail system, the other by the mailing list software, Mailman, itself.)

    We need to fix the website's search engine so that the entirety of the site, minus the mailing list archives, can be searched.

  • Jan Meizel - [Information] Ms. Meizel has asked us to take down an e-mail posted to our mailing list regarding her. The author has agreed, and the archived message will be replaced with a statement saying so. Mike Simons was looking into this, but was absent from this meeting.

  • Officers and Officer Meetings in Bylaws - [Recommendation] It is unclear whether a person who holds more than one elected officer position (e.g., both president and secretary) are given more than one vote at officer meetings. We should decide, and clarify in our bylaws.

    Also, Henry noted that the bylaws make no official mention of officers' Meetings (and, for example, what makes a quorum at such a meeting). We should consider adding an ammendment on officers' meetings, if warranted.

  • Installfest Mailing List - [Action: Bill] Due to some unpreparedness as the recent installfest, Bill has once again suggested the creation of a "vox-if" mailing list, where IF RSVPs will be posted, and volunteers can prepare, and discuss technical issues before the event.

    The other officers in attendance agreed with this motion, and at yesterday's Installfest, Rusty Minden (coordinator) seemed to like the idea. Bill will look into the creation of the new list.

  • Mailing List Administration Complaint Rebuttal - [Action: Henry] A set of websites have complaints regarding LUGOD and the administration of the mailing lists, posted a number of months ago. Due to the nature of the statements, the officers feel we must act in response to the statement, on behalf of both LUGOD and the administrator.

    Henry will draft a short formal letter asking for the statements to be removed. Bill wishes to make clear in the rebuttal letter that complaints in question have been addressed, and explain how (for example, clarification of list rules on the website; carbon-copying of private warnings to the LUGOD officers).

    Henry plans to ask that the critisism be removed, and state that if there are any more concerns that they wish to bring up, in good faith, that they are welcome to.

  • Archival of Mailing List Boilerplate Responses - [Recommendation] Bill brought up the fact that we should maintain the collection of boilerplate mailing list warnings that are sent to people (e.g., "please don't post HTML", "please set your e-mail client to word-wrap at 80 characters", etc.) They could be provided to future list administrators to use.

Attendance

  • Bill Kendrick (root)
  • Stephen Matthew Helms (typescript)
  • Henry House (/dev/null)

Mike Simons was absent.


LinkedIn
LUGOD Group on LinkedIn
Sign up for LUGOD event announcements
Your email address:
facebook
LUGOD Group on Facebook
'Like' LUGOD on Facebook:

Hosting provided by:
Sunset Systems
Sunset Systems offers preconfigured Linux systems, remote system administration and custom software development.

LUGOD: Linux Users' Group of Davis
PO Box 2082, Davis, CA 95617
Contact Us

LUGOD is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization
based in Davis, California
and serving the Sacramento area.
"Linux" is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.

Sponsored in part by:
Sunset Systems
Who graciously hosts our website & mailing lists!