Welcome to the "Jobs" page at the Linux Users' Group of Davis,
a computer club dedicated to Linux, open source, and related topics, located
in Davis, California — near Sacramento, in the Central Valley of California,
and not too far from the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley regions.
This page, as well as our
'vox-jobs' mailing list, lists
jobs that LUGOD members might be interested in and/or qualified for. Enjoy!
Submitting Jobs for Posting |
Other Job Resources
The most recent job listings are at the top.
The job listing was last modified on:
Jun 05, 2015 11:25
Operations Engineer L3 (Linux) - Sacramento
RagingWire Data Centers is seeking an Operatings Engineer Level III (Full Time, Day Shift).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Leads or Works with a team to implement and manage Unix, SAN/NAS, Monitoring and Backup solutions in an Enterprise Data Center Environment
- Responsible to architecture and support Linux Operating Systems
- Responsible to architecture and support Enterprise Monitoring solution
- Proposes software and hardware projects (internal and external) in an ongoing effort to enhance our product suite and ensure reliability of systems either as a team member or individual contributor as the needs of the project dictate.
- Provides technical support to other groups within the organization
- Analyzes systems to propose Best Practices for both internal and external customers.
- Creates process and procedure documents for all products and services offered.
- Assists in mentoring team members on Operational policies, procedures and proper utilization.
- Under the direction of the Operations Manager or Level III Engineer, this position may require participation in sales proposal preparation and presentations.
- May take leadership role in the engineering and installation of new clients and upgrades of service to existing clients.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Self directing or works with minimal supervision
- Minimum 6-8 years of experience as a Unix Systems Administrator/Engineer in an Enterprise Environment
- Experience supporting Sun servers running Solaris in a production environment
- Experience supporting Intel-based servers running Linux (Redhat Enterprise/CentOS)
- Experience supporting Apache web server environments a plus
- Experience supporting DNS & LDAP environments
- Experience supporting SAN/NAS storage solutions
- Experience supporting Veritas backup solutions
- Experience supporting Symantec backup solutions
- Experience scripting in Unix environments using perl or shell
- Experience with any of the following: NimSoft, MRTG a plus
- Experience supporting Windows (Desktop OS, Server2003, Active Directory, exchange, clustering) a plus
- Knowledge of Network Engineering (Cisco & Jumiper) a plus
- Experience with ITIL Change Management practices a plus
RagingWire designs, builds, and operates mission critical data centers that deliver high-density power and 100% availability. The company has 650,000 square
feet of critical data center infrastructure in Northern California and Ashburn, Virginia and the highest customer loyalty scores in the industry. Their
patented power delivery systems and EPA ENERGY STAR rated facilities lead the data center market in reliability and efficiency. With flexible colocation
solutions for retail and wholesale buyers, a carrier neutral philosophy, and unmatched customer service, RagingWire meets the needs of top enterprise,
Internet, and government organizations.
More information is available at www.ragingwire.com
RagingWire Data Centers, Inc. is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant on the basis of age,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, medical condition, disability, marital
status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions, genetic information, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under
federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
All applicants for employment will be subject to pre-employment drug testing, a criminal background check and education/employment verification. Additionally,
some positions require a review of driving records, credit checks, and/or successful completion of the federal governments 'Public Trust' background
Contract Linux Systems Administrator - Sacramento region
Location: Sacramento region
We are seeking a seasoned Linux Systems Administrator to assist us with
approximately 20 total hours of contract work in the following areas:
We are willing to speak with individuals who can assist with only some of
the needs listed above. Our geographic preference is someone from the
Sacramento region, but we will consider other parts of California, or the
country. We are prepared to pay your standard contract rates, which we
expect will be commensurate with your prior experience. Please contact us
at (530) 671-9244 or
to discuss details.
- set up a 1u Linux server to our specifications that we can colocate
with our existing ISP,
- develop an operational management process for the above server,
- design a scalable process for Linux based device encryption,
- provide input on selection of a kiosk browser front end,
- set up encrypted device backup for remote devices,
- define policies and procedures for file and system security, and
- create various cron jobs, including managing updates of remote
Submitting Jobs for Posting
Linux enthusiasts come from many diverse backgrounds and careers, not
limited to the computer science field. A common quality is that they are
all highly self-motivated, dedicated, hard-working, and intelligent. If
you are looking for employees of this sort please consider letting us know.
If you'd like to list a job here, or have your job listing removed (ie,
it's been filled) or changed, please e-mail
- Do not send file attachments, HTML e-mails or Word Documents.
Send your job posting (edited for brevity if possible) as a plain-text
- If you include phone numbers
or email addresses in your job posting (either for posting on this
page, or posting our our vox-jobs
mailing list, which is archived), please note whether you'd like
them included. If you don't specify, we'll assume they are valid contact
numbers/addresses which should be included with your
- The current policy is to regularly remove jobs which are older than about
- Posting priority is given to jobs in the Davis/Sacramento
area, then the San Francisco Bay Area. We typically do not
post out-of-state jobs (unless it's a telecommuting opportunity,
of course), as that's beyond the club's scope (Davis, California).