Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2003.09.29 Meeting Notes"
2003.09.29 Meeting Notes
House Agriculture, Davis
- Projector - [Action: Henry]
Mike Simons sounds like he can bring a projector from
his work on a regular basis. However, due to his distance, and the
possibility of not having a projector, we have decided to go ahead
and purchase one.
Bill motioned that Henry purchase a projector capable of 1024x768 resolution,
at a cost not to exceed $1800 (including tax and shipping), and to arrive
on or soon before October 19th (the next meeting where we need one).
(This will provide us with 2, if not 3 meetings to test the projector,
before having to return it if we decide to.)
Matthew seconded. Passed unanimously. (3 for, 0 against, 1 absent).
- Elections - [Information]
Nominations will open up at the November 4th
meeting and close at the November 17th meeting, when elections begin.
Elections will end at the following meeting, December 2nd.
(If all candidates are running unopposed, which is typical, elections will
end at the Novmeber 17th meeting.)
- Honorary Officers - [Recommendation]
Henry will (again) draft an ammendment to the
Bylaws which would allow for 'honorary officers,' recognized by the
elected officers. The intention is that honorary officers, like appointed
officers, will not have voting rights, but will be welcomed at officers
meetings. Honorary officership will be indefinite, unless revoked by the
The other officers in attendance agreed with this motion, and the
bylaw ammendment should be made at the next public meeting (October 7th).
- Mailing Lists - [Recommendation]
The making of motions on this subject was
deferred until the next officers meeting. However, the consensus is that
we should eliminate one of the two collections of mailing list archives.
(One is handled by a procmail system, the other by the mailing list software,
We need to fix the website's search engine so that the entirety of the
site, minus the mailing list archives, can be searched.
- Jan Meizel - [Information]
Ms. Meizel has asked us to take down an e-mail
posted to our mailing list regarding her. The author has agreed,
and the archived message will be replaced with a statement saying so.
Mike Simons was looking into this, but was absent from this meeting.
- Officers and Officer Meetings in Bylaws - [Recommendation]
It is unclear whether
a person who holds more than one elected officer position (e.g.,
both president and secretary) are given more than one vote at officer
meetings. We should decide, and clarify in our bylaws.
Also, Henry noted that the bylaws make no official mention of
officers' Meetings (and, for example, what makes a quorum at such a meeting).
We should consider adding an ammendment on officers' meetings, if warranted.
- Installfest Mailing List - [Action: Bill]
Due to some unpreparedness as the recent installfest, Bill has once
again suggested the creation of a "vox-if" mailing list, where IF RSVPs
will be posted, and volunteers can prepare, and discuss technical issues
before the event.
The other officers in attendance agreed with this motion, and at yesterday's
Installfest, Rusty Minden (coordinator) seemed to like the idea.
Bill will look into the creation of the new list.
- Mailing List Administration Complaint Rebuttal - [Action: Henry]
A set of websites have complaints regarding LUGOD and the administration
of the mailing lists, posted a number of months ago. Due to the nature of
the statements, the officers feel we must act in response to the
statement, on behalf of both LUGOD and the administrator.
Henry will draft a short formal letter asking for the statements to be
removed. Bill wishes to make clear in the rebuttal letter that
complaints in question have been addressed, and explain how
(for example, clarification of list rules on the website; carbon-copying
of private warnings to the LUGOD officers).
Henry plans to ask that the critisism be removed, and state that if there
are any more concerns that they wish to bring up, in good faith, that they
are welcome to.
- Archival of Mailing List Boilerplate Responses - [Recommendation]
Bill brought up the fact that we should maintain the collection of
boilerplate mailing list warnings that are sent to people
(e.g., "please don't post HTML", "please set your e-mail client to word-wrap
at 80 characters", etc.) They could be provided to future list
administrators to use.
- Bill Kendrick (root)
- Stephen Matthew Helms (typescript)
- Henry House (/dev/null)
Mike Simons was absent.
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2003 Oct 06 22:00