Software Freedom Day
The Linux Users' Group of Davis, California, will be
participating in 2010's Software
Freedom Day event, Saturday, September 18th!
Members from LUGOD will be at the
Davis Food Co-Op's
"Demo Station", near the meat department.
Drop by to try out Linux, ask questions, get software CDs, and more!
Davis Food Co-Op
620 G Street
Davis, California 95616
What Is It?
Software Freedom Day is a global, grassroots effort to educate the public about the importance of software freedom and the virtues and availability of Free and Open Source Software. Local teams from all over the world organise events on the third Saturday in September. The most recent event involved over 200 teams from all over the world.
LUGOD has participated in this event in previous years:
How to Help
If you'd like to help out for this year's event, please post a message
to our general discussion mailing list,
'vox' or contact
More information on our hands-on demos, and on our
participation in this year's Software Freedom Day event can be
found on our demo project page.
Planning for 2010
- Sept. 18 - Happy Software Freedom Day! See you at the Co-Op
between 4pm and 7pm this evening!
- Sept. 3 - Bill set up a basic
page for LUGOD
at the SFD wiki, and registered LUGOD
- Sept. 3 - The Davis Food Co-Op says we can use the Demo Station
for our Software Freedom Day hands-on Linux demo from 4pm to 7pm that day.
What We'll Have:
- Discs - We've got a collection of Ubuntu 10.04 discs that were
donated to the club recently by Grant Bowman from the
Ubuntu California LoCo (Local Community) Team. (Thanks!)
- Computers - Laptops work well for events like this.
Bill is bringing a Kubuntu 9.04 laptop and a MyTouch Slide Android phone.
- Volunteers - Tim Riley has offered to help staff the booth.
- Hand-outs - Bill will photocopy some handouts
(such as these) and
any new event flyers to give out to people.