Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2003.11.04 Meeting Notes"
2003.11.04 Meeting Notes
- Microsoft held an Office2003 rollout event, and apparently every demo
of Office2003 crashed!
- Knoppix 3.3 has been released.
- SUSE has been bought by Novell, with an IBM share arrangement.
- Red Hat is ending support for the home versions of their distro.
- Oracle Clustering Filesystem talk at SVLUG in San Jose on November 5th.
- Follow-up to "Simple Rules for Avoiding Spam" talk at SVBUG in San Jose
on November 6th.
- Spamassassin workshop in Roseville on Saturday November 15th.
- Firewall Builder project leader speaks at EBLUG in Fremont on Nov. 19th.
- Demo - No demo scheduled.
- Installfests - The next Installfest will be on November 19th.
Rusty Minden will be stepping down after the December Installfest
(after three years of dedicated service!), so we'll need a replacement
before January's event. Contact the officers if you wish to help!!!
- LERT - There's one LERT call that just came in, but hasn't been
passed along to the volunteers yet..
- Library - Nothing to report.
- Tux Paint Demo - Bill Kendrick, , Eric Engelhard,
Jonathan Stickel, and Michael Wenk set up computers to demonstrate
Bill's "Tux Paint" program to kids and parents at the Davis Food Co-Op
on October 26th. Ryan Castellucci burned 40 discs with the software;
unfortunately, only a few people came by.
- ISSA Conference - Day one of the ISSA conference was today.
Brian Lavender and Seth Nagao spent all day staffing LUGOD's booth at
the event. Our booth was apparently very busy!
- Officer Nominations - Nominations for LUGOD elected officers
opened today. The current set of officers were nominated for their
current positions, and noone else was nominated!
Bill Kendrick was nominated for President ("root"), Mike Simons for
Vice President ("sys"), Henry House for Treasurer ("/dev/null"), and
Stephen Matthew Helms for Secretary ("typescript"). Voting will begin
(and possibly end) at the next meeting.
- Raffle - Kevin Murakoshi won a SLIMP3 player from Slim Devices!
LUGOD also raffled away a collection of other goodies from IBM, Oracle
- Financial Report - $50.25 in voluntary dues were
- Sean Adams and Patrick Cosson, Slim Devices, Inc. --
"The SLIMP3 Network Music Player"
- Bill Kendrick
- Seth Nagao
- Mike Simons
- Richard Harke
- Sean Adams
- Jeff DeFay
- Mark L.
- Sonny Cruz
- Tim S.
- Ryan Castellucci
- Jeff Newmiller
- Kevin Murakoshi
- Ken Herron
- Stephen Helms
- ...and 2 others
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2003 Dec 15 04:28