[vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 17 13:04:47 PST 2005

on Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:33:06PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org) wrote:
> On Mon 14 Mar 05,  9:31 AM, Bob Scofield <rscofield at afes.com> said:
> >
> > Of course I do not expect much sympathy from Debian users for this type of
> > computing.  But after Ken's answer to my question about apt upgrading to new
> > versions of open source applications (eventually to Open Office 2.0, for
> > example) I marvel at what Debian is up to.  It is clearly economically
> > suicidal for commercial distros to have apt.  While Debian is considered
> > geekware, it has tremendous potential to the non-technically inclined.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Interesting thought.  While my understanding is that apt has been ported to
> other distros, like Connectiva (which is now owned by someone else) my sense
> is that it hasn't really caught on.  Maybe it doesn't have the blessing of
> the distros to which it was ported.

Those who fail to understand Debian Policy are forced to reimplement it.
Poorly.

    http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/talks/why_debian/talk.html
    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/WhyDebianRocks

    Policy - The Special Sauce

    This is the crux, the narthex, the throbbing heart of Debian and
    what makes it so utterly superior to all other operating systems.
    Policy is defined. It is clear. It is enforced through the tools you
    use every day. When you issue apt-get install foo, you're not just
    installing software. You're enforcing policy - and that policy's
    objective is to give you the best possible system.

    What Policy defines are the bounds of Debian, not your own actions
    on the system. Policy states what parts of the system the package
    management system can change, and what it can't, how to handle
    configuration files, etc. By limiting the scope of the distribution
    in this way, it's possible for the system administrator to make
    modifications outside the area without fear that Debian packages
    will affect these changes. In essence, Policy introduces a new class
    of bugs, policy bugs. Policy bugs are release-critical -- a package
    which violates policy will not be included in the official stable
    Debian release.

    Let me reiterate, because that is the whole secret: A package which
    violates policy will not be included in the official stable Debian
    release.

Peace.

--
    I found my own migration path from Fedora Core 1. Funny enough, it DOES
    start with "d" and ends with "ebian,"