[vox-tech] inkscape

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Tue Mar 1 14:16:44 PST 2005

På tisdag, 01 mars 2005, skrev Jonathan Stickel:
> Micah Cowan wrote:
> >Henry House wrote:
> >
> >>[Inkscape's] native format is a subset of SVG.
> >>
> >[] indicates modificiation of original quote.
> >
> >IIRC, sodipodi, which I found out a few days ago became Inkscape(?),
> >could read in any SVG and would preserve markup it didn't fully
> >understand, even through modifications and changes.
[...]

Actually, Inscape is a fork of Sodipodi. AFAIK Sodipodi is still being
developed, but Inkscape seems to have surpassed it in quality and speed of
progress lately.

> I just installed inkscape to check it out.  It looks really nice; more
> inuitive editing than xfig.  However, I primarily make vector drawings
> to import into latex documents.  Xfig supports that very well, including
> ways to include latex math.

I doubt that you will find LaTeX integration potential of that quality in
Inkscape, alas.

I'm curious, how do you produce a diagram that TeX can process? (I assume
that by the above you mean that you are exporting your drawings into
something that can be inserted directly into LaTeX, versus plain old
EPS that is embedded by reference and inserted at printing time by DVIPS.)
I've never gotten it work, probably because I am not using the right
combination of packages in LaTeX and export format in xfig (there are eight
export formats that appear to be LaTeX-related).

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13