Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2008.03.17 Meeting Notes"
2008.03.17 Meeting Notes
Davis Public Library
- Demo — No news.
- Installfests — The next Installfest will be
Sunday, April 13th. Installfests will now be held at the 'Zinfandel Lounge'
at the Experimental College, in the South Silo building at UC Davis.
Visit www.lugod.org/if to RSVP.
Contact email@example.com or post to the 'vox-if' mailing list for more
information, or if you'd like to volunteer for future IFs.
- LERT — No LERT calls since last meeting.
As usual, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need emergency Linux help.
- Library — A vote was held to remove the lending library
and librarian appointed officer from LUGOD's bylaws. The proposal was
made by Bill Kendrick (vice president), and Henry House (president and
librarian) stated he was fine with the idea. The proposal passed,
8 to 1, with 5 abstaining. Further discussion was held on how to
disburse the library, giving LUGOD members a chance either before or
after donating to public library(ies). A raffle could be held (and we
could ask for donations for tickets; though we cannot require payment),
at least for the better books. Prior to the vote, discussion was held
on how we could, technically, keep one book in the library and still
be 'maintaining' a library, and therefore not have to alter the bylaws.
- Event Announcements - The following events were announced:
- Mark Shuttleworth of Canonical/Ubuntu to speak at BALUG in SF on
Tues. March 25th
- James Burget of the Alameda County Computer Resource Center (ACCRC)
to speak at PenLUG in Redwood City on Thur. March 27th.
- LUGOD social gathering on Tues. April 1st.
- "CTL" enterprise management project talk at the next LUGOD general
meeting, Mon. April 21st.
- Yolo County Child Development Conference - LUGOD's booth
at the Child Dev. Conf. has been confirmed.
It will take place on Saturday,
April 26th at the Veterans Memorial Center (next door to the
Davis Public Library). More volunteers are needed. Contact Bill Kendrick
(email@example.com) if you wish to help.
- Officer Nominations - This was the first meeting after the
Daylight Savings time change, and therefore officer nominations were opened.
Send your nominations to LUGOD's secretary, Nick Schmalenberger, at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Elections will begin at the next general meeting
- Election Rules - Due to the 2007 change in Daylight Savings rules,
the time changes no longer occur approx. 6 months apart. Henry House proposed
that in the future, officer nominations be held at the April and October
meetings. This requires a change to our bylaws. The vote passed 9 to 0,
with 5 abstaining.
- LUGOD sign - The large laminated LUGOD sign was, in fact,
not discarded. Nick Schmalenberger found it and brought it to the meeting.
It appeared to be in good (though not great) condition.
No discussion was made as to whether or not to get a vinyl sign for
events, so this will likely still happen prior to the Child Dev. Conf.
in late April.
- Financial Report — $??.?? in voluntary dues were
- Brian Lavender discussed the
Open Source Security Information Management (OSSIM) project
and demonstrated it using virtual systems under QEmu.
- Photos of this meeting
- Richard Harke
- Henry House
- Bill Kendrick
- Nick Schmalenberger
- William Kendrick
- Brian Lavender
- Martin Huh
- Scott Miller
- Thomas Corbett
- ... and many others
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2008 Mar 20 18:45