Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2003.07.01 Meeting Notes"
2003.07.01 Meeting Notes
- Some Utah Linux users protested at SCO's offices. SCO employees
came out with disparaging picket signs.
- The Microsoft Windows "Refund" suit is coming to a close in
California. There's a $1.1 billion dollar fund that people may be
eligible for part of!
- SCO moved their suit to federal court, and apparently recently
modified their complaint.
- SVLUG meets on July 2nd. "Strong Cryptography in the Linux Kernel."
- NBLUG meets on July 8th. "Spam filtering."
- SacLUG meets on July 9th. "Perl and Java for web apps."
- Paul Miller will be doing a presentation on OpenOffice.org at the July
Sacramento PC Users Group meeting (SacPCUG), on Wed. July 16th.
- Demo - Kevin Murakoshi was able to determine what caused the
death our new demo box (the one donated to us by Z-World after we could no
longer meet at their offices). Apparently, the CPU overheated due;
all of the fans were pointing outwards, causing a small pocket of uncooled
air. He had a spare Athlon CPU and was able to ressurect it!!!
- Installfests - The next IF will be on July 20th.
- LERT - No news.
- Library - No news.
- Video Projector - We are very close to being able to buy our
own projector. We're looking at XGA resolution (1024x768), in the
$1200-1500 range, if new; or $1000-1200, if used. Note: If anyone in the
club is considering buying their own, and would be willing to loan it to
LUGOD for meetings, Mike Simons is fully prepared to give recommendations
on models and vendors!
- LUGODer of the Quarter - Mike Simons was recognized as LUGODer
of the quarter, for all of the tremendous work he's done over the years;
most recently, putting together our booth at the Government Technology
Conference. LUGOD awarded him with an accelerated video card.
Pete Salzman, LUGOD's founder, threw in two 3D video games to go with it.
- Geek Swap - LUGOD is putting together a "Geek Swap" fundraiser
swap-meet event to help raise money for a projector (and at the same time,
provide a place for LUGOD members to try to get rid of some of their
extra junk). We're still planning on exactly when and where to hold it.
Z-World said they might be able to let us use their parking lot, though
we're concerned it may be too hot. (We also haven't gotten confirmation
from them yet.)
- LinuxWorld Expo - LUGOD will be exhibiting at LWE in San Francisco
in August. Henry House has been forwarded a form requestion information
regarding sales tax. We were previously thinking of burning LUGOD CDROMs
to hand out, but have decided there'd probably be little interest.
We might sell t-shirts or other 'swag' (from our Cafe Press shop), if
- Picn*x12 - The Linux anniversary picnic is being held in
Sunnyvale on August 9th, the Saturday after LinuxWorld. Volunteers are
still needed (especially cooks). Oracle has offered $2000 to fund the
event! However, we need to find an organization capable of invoicing them,
since the picnic is not its own non-profit, and the umbrella organization
(sbay.org) doesn't have their non-profit status yet. LUGOD might be able
to do this...
- Davis Motorsports - Tim Riley helped Davis Motorsports switch their
systems to Linux. As a thank-you, they donated $200 to LUGOD!
- IBM donation for GTC - When LUGOD was putting together our booth
for the Government Technology Conference, we asked IBM if they'd be willing
to help support us. They offered to pay the $80 for our electricity
costs. (It turned out to be higher, in the end.) We recently received
a check for $80 from Karen Lee at IBM!
- Financial Report - $23.77 in voluntary dues were collected.
- Brian Lavender
- Stephen Helms
- Richard Bruce
- Vik Sohal
- Vinh Du
- Tim Schaffer
- Richard Massa
- Ryan Castelluci
- Jeff DeFay
- Andrew W.
- Marc Hasbrouck
- Richard Harke
- Dmitriy Ivanov
- Ken Herron
- Doug Barbieri
- Jeff Newmiller
- Mike Simons
- Bill Kendrick
- ... and 4 others
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2003 Jul 18 13:13