Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2002.02.05 Meeting Notes"
2002.02.05 Meeting Notes
- LinuxWorld Expo came and went (in NYC).
- Linux Standard Base is complete, including specifications, test suite, and
- Red Hat's Bob Young says "Linux won't rule the desktop"
- Linux kits for PlayStation 2 will be available in the use for $200 in May!
(includes 40GB hard disk, network adapter, software discs, and
USB keyboard and mouse)
- Loki Entertainment Software closes its doors.
Their open source code to be maintained by SEUL (Simple End-User Linux).
- Developers irritated at Torvalds' slowness in integrating Kernel patches.
- 3 years ago this month, the term "Open Source" was first coined by
Christine Peterson, Eric Raymond and friends.
- "Free Software Magazine" is now being published.
- The "divx ;-)" video codec has been made open source.
- Ximian changes Mono (their .NET libraries) license from GPL to X11 license.
- The BBC is testing out Ogg Vorbis audio streams.
- "New Scientist" publishes an article (on 'OpenCola') under copyleft!
- PerlMongers to start "The Perl Review" magazine (in PDF format).
- Sun announces Cobalt Qube 3 server appliance - running Linux, of course.
(About 3 years after the first Qube was announced.)
- Sun ends development of Solaris for Intels.
- IBM and SuSE partnering to tune SuSE's "SLES" OS for IBM's eServer line.
- IBM announces first Linux-only mainframes. (Z-series without their z/OS)
- Microsoft supposedly stops all new coding to focus on fixing bugs.
- WinInformant claims Windows is more secure than Linux.
- HP announces it will be offering and supporting Mandrake.
- Amazon's first-ever net profit (no pun intended): made $5mil (About 1c/
- Steve Wozniac came out of "semi retirement" to start "Wheels of Zeus" (WoZ),
to work on wireless handhelds.
- Mandrake 8.2 beta is out. New features include encrypted filesystem
support, and a file sharing setup wizard.
- Caldera has Open Sourced parts of UNIX(tm) - good news for, eg, BSD.
- Demo - February's demo is to be scheduled.
- Installfests - Our next Installfest will be
- LERT - On Saturday, a group of LUGOD members went to
Benecia and installed SuSE on 2 systems, and partitioned the 3rd for
the fellow to install Linux himself. In return, he purchased pizza for
the volunteers, and donated some cash to LUGOD.
- Library - Nicole Carlson donated Advanced Unix Programming
- Financial Report - $30.27 in voluntary dues were
- 4-H Presentation - No details yet.
- LUGOD Merchandise - You can now buy Linux- and LUGOD-related
items from our CafePress.com shop (click the "Buy Stuff" link below
the sidebar on our website). Items include shirts and t-shirts, mugs,
a mousepad, and more!
- Henry House
- Melissa Hardenrbook
- Bill Kendrick
- Nicole Carlson
- Joel Baumert
- Ed Capriola
- Carol Capriola
- Rich Morin
- Lee Welter
- Jeff DeFay
- Dave Nelson
- Richard Harkey
- Marc Hasbrouck
- Seth Nagao
- Carl Yates
- Stephen Helms
- Brian Lavender
Photos of this meeting.
Quote of the Meeting:
- "Even when a lot of money was falling out of trees [towards Linux
companies], none of it was falling in this direction [good documentation]."
- Rich Morin.
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2002 Feb 06 13:10