Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2001.09.04 Meeting Notes"
2001.09.04 Meeting Notes
- A distribution survey was done during introductions.
- RedHat: 13
- Debian: 6
- Mandrake: 4
- (None): 4
- Slackware: 2
- StormLinux: 1
- *BSD: 1
- HP and Compaq plan to merger. HP wants to absorb Compaq for $25bil.
- Hotmail proves hackable in one line of code
- Dead people from towns that don't exist write similar letters of
Microsoft support to state attorney generals.
- NY Stock Exchange is switching to Linux!
- Demo - Waiting for confirmation from the Davis Co-Op.
It will probably be on the 3rd Saturday of September. Also, LUGOD
has replaced the heavy, 19" CRT with a light, 15" LCD. We may look
into getting a newer video card (with digital output).
- Installfests - LUGOD, SacLUG and RoseLUG will be holding a
join Installfest in Sacramento on Sept. 16th. Visit LUGOD's
Installfest page for info. and to RSVP.
- LERT - No news.
- Library - Linux Mandrake Security Single Network Firewall 7.2,
a Compaq info. disk, and lots of Novell Netware books and software were
donated to the library.
- Officers Meeting - An officers meeting was held on
August 27th. (Minutes are online)
- Financial Report - $40.27 in voluntary dues were
- Henry House did a short talk on Mail User Agents, demonstrating
MUTT and TkRat.
- A very short comparison was made of the Lynx and Links
text-based web browsers.
- Bill Kendrick briefly demonstrated "TuxMath," an edutainment game
for Linux (and other OSes) that he's working on.
- Henry House
- Gabe Rosa
- Bill Kendrick
- Marianne Waage
- Tom Porter
- Eric Engelhard
- Rick O'Shaughnessy
- Zach Johnson
- Leng Siakhassone
- Jeff DeFay
- Donald Dunn
- John Reynolds
- Doug Barbieri
- Mark Kim
- Steve Nguyen
- Foo Lim
- Stephen Helms
- ... and 4 others
Photos of this meeting
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2002 Feb 05 13:30