Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2001.08.07 Meeting Notes"
2001.08.07 Meeting Notes
- Microsoft appealing monopoly ruling, all the way to the Supreme Court.
- Rosetta and Adobe now selling 'timed' e-books. $11 buys you 10hrs
before the book 'self-destructs.'
- 6 years ago this week, Red Hat announced version 1.0
- Dmitry Sklyrov released on $50,000 bail. Adobe dropped charges,
government still fighting. Contact EFF.org to help!
- Demo - The last demo was on July 21st at the Davis Food Co-Op.
Bill Kendrick, Doug Barbieri, Melissa Hardenbrook and Eric Mullinix
staffed the event, which went non-stop!
- Installfests - LUGOD, SacLUG and RoseLUG will be holding a
join Installfest in Sacramento on Sept. 16th. Visit LUGOD's
Installfest page for info. and to RSVP.
- LERT - No news.
- Library - No report.
- Financial Report - $44.00 in voluntary dues were
- Michael Egan of Sonoma State University talked about how Linux is
being used to control robotic book-retreiving cranes ("Automated
Retreival System") at SSU's new library, and breifly showed wireless,
network-booted, Linux-based laptops which students can check out and
use for research at the library.
- Pete Salzman did a mini-talk on using the "ellipses" ("...") in C
programming to create functions which can accept an arbitrary number
Presentation notes are available.
- Bill Kendrick
- Melissa Hardenbrook
- Pete Salzman
- Joel Baumert
- Sarah Baumert
- Mark Kim
- Eric Engelhard
- Jeff Newmiller
- Steve Nguyen
- Brad Benedict
- Marianne Waage
- Gabe Rosa
- Mike Egan
- Doug Barbieri
- Rick O'Shaughnessy
- Seth Nagao
- Lee Welters
- Foo Lim
- Mike Simons
- Christine Scobee
- ... and 5 others
Quotes of the Meeting
- "I use Linux cuz chicks dig Linux" - Gabe Rosa
- "I use Linux cuz guys dig Linux" - Marianne Waage
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Aug 21 15:19