Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2001.04.16 Meeting Notes"
2001.04.16 Meeting Notes
- Spindletop.com - an open source hardware co-op that formed an LLC to
get funds to boost their non-profit, which helps get good equipment to
open source programmers, cheaply.
- New Linux game company: Tripsoft.
- Microsoft "Clippy" is no more (as of Windows XP)
- Windows XP to have firewire support, but NOT USB 2.0
- RedHat 7.1 released; 2.4 kernel, USB support, updated XF86
- A company in Israel developed a mouse with braile pins, for the blind.
- Iomega to give $40 rebates to people who bought Zip drives between 1995
and March 2001. (Due to class-action suit regarding "Click of Death")
- Libranet Linux requiring people to pay for latest version of their
Debian-based distro. (2nd-to-latest versions are free)
- Indrema (Linux-based game console) died, due to lack of funding.
- LUGOD's Mother.com account was disabled due to hacking; SSH on Mother.com
- Star Trek: Next Generation back on Fox 40.
- The Economist magazine publised pro-Open Source articles
- SacLUG lost its meeting place, due to Calweb changing their hours.
- Demo - Next demo to be April 21st (UCD Picnic Day)
at Border's Books, between 3pm and 6pm.
- DCN - No news.
- Other LUGs
- Apr. 17th - BALUG meeting in SF. Topic still TBA!
- Apr. 17th - MacNexus meeting in Sac. Adobe.
- Apr. 21st - LUGOD holds Linux demo at Borders in Davis.
- Apr. 21st/22nd - LUGFest in Simi Valley (near Los Angeles).
- May 1st - LUGOD meeting. Cisco/Vovida on Open Source Voice over IP.
- May 2nd - SVLUG meeting in San Jose. Mobile Linux "and other fun stuff."
- May 3rd - SVBUG meeting in San Jose. Topic TBA.
- May 14th - LUGOD meeting. Topic TBA; probably VMWare.
- May 20th - Installfest in Davis.
- June 6th - SVLUG meeting. Counterpane.
- June 18th - LUGOD meeting. OpenGL.
- Installfests - April 15th IF cancelled due to Easter.
Next IF will be May 20th.
- LERT - No news.
- Pic*Nix - A LUGOD picnic was planned for this past weekend.
Nobody who was planning on going was at the meeting, so we don't know
if it even happened!
- Linux Game Show - LUGOD contacted DCTV (Davis public access TV)
regarding doing our Linux trivia gameshow on actual television. They
seem very keen on the idea!
- Future Talks - Upcoming, currently unscheduled talks that LUGOD
will be having will include: VMWare, Borland on Kylix, SETI@home,
- Financial Report - $14.23 in voluntary dues were
- Mark K. Kim demonstrated "Blender," the free 3D modeling, rendering and
animation program for Linux (and other OSes).
- Bill Kendrick
- Jim Riffel
- Jen Rutherford
- Mark Kim
- Foo Lim
- Henry House
- Eric Engelhard
- Stephen Helms
- Edwin Groot
- Brian Lavendar
- Melissa Hardenbrook
- Jeff Duncan
- Steve Nguyen
- Jeff Rausch
- Monica Lau
- Eric Mullinix
- "I just use Linux because it doesn't piss me off as much as Windows" -
of this meeting
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Jul 18 14:25