Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2001.01.15 Meeting Notes"
2001.01.15 Meeting Notes
- Linux Kernel 2.4 is out! Z-World burned 50 copies for us to give out!
- Roseville Linux Training Center announces advanced Linux 2.4 workshop
- France will be taxing blank computer media, to compensate
(artists, or publishers?) for pirating.
- Police arrest teen, Christopher Hennah, for making web sites that
mocked the Salem, Oregon police department.
- Strong link found to cell phones and eye cancer.
- Ken Starr says Microsoft has a monopoly, and it's bad (well, DUH)
- VA Linux Systems is hiring. Contact Rick Moen.
- Some members are buiding Athlon systems (buying in bulk to reduce cost)
- John Alden donated 2 RedHat 6.3 CDs, 1 floating penguin desk accessory,
1 Lexmark color inkjet, 1 NEC SuperScript 750C inkjet, and 1 IBM 8512
UGA monitor to the club for giveaways. We gave them away!
- Demo - No demo will be held in January. The machine is happy.
- DCN - No news.
- Other LUGs
- 1/21 - LUGOD Installfest
- 2/1 - SVBUG: Ernest Prabhakar - Apple Open Source Product Mgr.
- 2/6 - LUGOD: Matt Bishop of UCD
- 2/19 - LUGOD: Henry House and Eric Engelhard - PostgresSQL, Perl and
- 3/1 - SVBUG: Jef Raskin - The Humane Interface.
- Installfests - The next IF will be January 21st. As usual,
EUII Room 1131 at UC Davis. RSVP online. http://www.lugod.org/if/
- LERT - One call will occur tomorrow.
- Financial Report - $???.?? in voluntary dues were
- LUGOD T-Shirts - T-Shirts are in, and were passed out to
those who ordered them. If you missed out, and would still like one,
LUGOD bought a number of extras.
- Games - We played "signal charades," where people had to mime
different Unix signals (interrupt, alarm, segfault, etc.) Prizes were
given out (see above).
- Bill Kendrick
- Jen Rutherford
- Pete Salzman
- Mark K. Kim
- Alex Chan
- Joel Baumert
- Nicole Carlson
- Eric Engelhard
- John Lin
- Ian Bowman
- Rick Moen
- Rick O'Shaughnessy
- Lee Welter
- Jeff DeFay
- Henry House
- Stephen Helms
- Rusty Minden
- Alfredo Lopez
- Jim Riffel
- Jeff Newmiller
- Cornell Chesnick
- Alderian Chesnick
- Allan Hollander
- Steve Nguyen
- Dan Shapiro
- Jan Wynholds
- Kimberly Horan
- Joe Arruda
- Matt Snellham
- Geoff Herteg
- Zach Johnson
- Mike Simons
- Brenon Reynolds
- Kevin Murakoshi
- Dale B.
- Kevin Atkin
- Jeff Duncan
- Don Foster
- Joe Hudson
- George Finch
- Christine Scobee
- Robert Jackson
- Verbus Counts
- Evan Scarisbrick
- Marianne Waage
- Gabe Rosa
- Rhonda Bailey
- Melissa Hardenbrook
- Paul Bertain
- Ken Godwin
- John Lalaine
- Chuck Ritchie
- Foo Lim
- Seth Nagao
...and two others
of this meeting
Quotes of the Meeting
- "If you understand this, then you'll understand 99% of MicroSoft
security" - Jeremy Allison
- "After doing a talk on exactly how SMB works, someone from MicroSoft
walked up and asked 'can we have a copy of that?'" - Jeremy Allison
- "We (Unix servers) hate clients!" - Jeremy Allison
- "I AM 'FTP!'" - Jeremy Allison, pounding chest
- "Challenge/Response Authentication Protocol... C.R.A.P." - Jeremy
- "You guys rule!" - Rick Moen of BALE.
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2002 Jun 09 16:20