Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2000.11.20 Meeting Notes"
2000.11.20 Meeting Notes
- 11 companies have created the KDE League (similar to the
recently-created Gnome Foundation)
- Open Source software is now being taxed in Poland. (The price is the
same amount of tax you'd pay for a commercial product that does the
- Pentium 4 will be out next week. Two flavors: 1.4GHz, 1.5GHz
- Kernel 2.4 will be out in December. Linus' new daughter will be out
some time this month.
- LinuxToday recommends the AOpen FM56 ISA and Zoom 56K PCI modems.
- NSA will be producing their own distribution of Linux.
- UCD"s "AC4" met. UCD now has an official policy on MP3's... they
discovered that ~75% of campus bandwidth was being used for MP3's,
so they're hiring iDrive to provid 50MB of space per UCD student.
Related: UCD undergrads may all be getting web space.
- Demo - Our last demo was November 18th at the Davis Food Co-Op.
It went well. Bill Kendrick and Mike Simons installed Helix/Gnome and
got sound working with a borrowed SoundBlaster-16. Henry and Pete are
going to install a Voodoo-5 video card and AWE64 soundcard
The next demo will be on December 16th (since the 23rd is too close
to Christmas). LUGOD has also purchased "Win4Lin" (but it doesn't
- DCN - Nothing new.
- Other LUGs
- 12/5 - LUGOD: Geoff Herteg, Matt Snelham and Jim Kingdon of VA Linux
- 12/6 - Davis PCUG: Linux
- 12/13 - SacLUG: SleepyCat on Berkeley DB
- 1/15 - LUGOD: Jeremy Allison on Samba
- 2/6 - LUGOD: Matt Bishop of UCD
- Installfests - Last IF was small, but very successful.
Roland Minden is now running IF's. Rick O'Shaghnessy is willing
to donate a spare CDROM drive for Installfests (since sometimes people
don't have one, or have strange ones). Roland has donated power strips.
We're going to make a post-IF pamphlet which explains the basics of
getting around a Linux system.
- LERT - Someone needs an install in the next few days.
Contact Pete Salzman if you'd like to handle it. Jeff Newmiller
helped someone get LRP installed, and they donated $15. Pete had the
idea that if a LERT member reaches a certain donation level (eg, $150),
that LUGOD would repay them- perhaps with a Linux game or lunch.
- Financial Report - $??.?? in voluntary dues were collected.
- Woodland Community College - No news.
- LUGOD T-Shirts - Design Works said that they cannot print our
shirts (white on dark cloth) because the image will smear. We need
to either pick different art or print dark on light. Bill will
e-mail everyone who has ordered so far to see what they'd prefer.
- Constitution Changes - Bill Kendrick proposed changing
LUGOD's Constitution so that (in Article 2: Purpose, and 3: Membership),
we clearly state that the goal of the club is to promote not just
Linux, but also Free Software and Open Source in general, as well
as open standards. The term "Linux" was replaced with "GNU/Linux,"
- Coffee Machine - Eric Engelhard provided Peet's Coffee and
Z-World provided coffee machines for the meeting!
- Sandwiches - Steve Nyugen of Maxim Group brought deli
sandwiches for the meeting!
- Laser Pointer - Foo Lim has donated a laser pointer to LUGOD
for use during presentations.
- Palm V - Jim Riffel of Z-World donated a Palm V to
LUGOD to give out as a door prize. We'll be raffling it at our
- Ben & Jerry's FUNdraiser - We've decided to table this
- Eric Engelhard of Sagres Discovery talked about a bioinformatics
pipeline he's created using a cluster of Linux boxes, Perl, Apache,
PHP and PostgreSQL.
- Joel Baumert
- Jim Riffel
- Pete Salzman
- Bill Kendrick
- Eric Engelhard
- Henry House
- Roland Minden
- Rick O'Shagnessy
- Nicole Carlson
- Jeff Newmiller
- Verbus Counts
- Lee Welter
- Clyde Reed
- Casey Bralla
- Lynn Lin
- Jan Wynholds
- Kevin Murakoshi
- Edwin Groot
- ... and 5 others
of this meeting
- "People take insects for granted. They think they're really
simple... Try to build one." - Eric Engelhard
- "I finally gave up OS/2" - Casey Bralla.
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Jul 18 14:22