Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2000.11.07 Meeting Notes"
2000.11.07 Meeting Notes
- MSNBC reports first MS hack, reportedly had source code for some of
Win OS stolen. Russian hackers with possible ties to
goverment. "Flipz" was one hacker (who also wrote "Save the world, kill
Bill"), the Dutch hacker Dimitri was another who did a hack the next week,
using a patched bug which MS forgot to install on one of their own machines!
- Turbo Linux is going to file for an IPO soon
- Kernel 2.4.0 test 10 released- dubbed "greased weasel" release for all
of its known bugs being fixed. It's one heartbeat away from being released
- $500 million worth of diamonds on display in London's Millennium Dome
were almost stolen by thieves disguised as workers, who drove an excavator
past security guards. They released smoke bombs (used gas masks). The
getaway ended in a 10 minute boat chase and arrests.
- Weather.com is moving to Linux.
- RIAA asked Napster to officially apologize to Metallica, particularly
- Bush received $53,740 in donations from MS's 20,000 employees. Gore
received $29,000. Steve Balmer said he was voting for Bush, Bill Gates
endorsed Bush for president.
- Indreama Developers Network opened- working on having a PC in a box
hooked to the TV. Game system for Linux will be out in spring 2001. "We're
going to get all the perverted games!"
- MS ad in Germany featured penguins with mutated heads.
- Demo - Our last demo was the 28th at Borders. It didn't get
a very good turnout. The next will be at the Co-Op on the 18th.
The demo machine is now running XFree86 4.0 and has OpenOffice installed.
Specs. on the machine and installed software are available on LUGOD's
- DCN - Nothing new.
- Other LUGs
- 11/8 - SacLUG: Felipe Leme on Fonts, Emacs and more
- 11/14 - NBLUG: OpenNMS
- 11/19 - LUGOD: Installfest
- 12/6 - Davis PCUG: Linux
- 12/13 - SacLUG: SleepyCat on Berkeley DB
- Installfests - Next IF will be on 11/19th. Rusty and Pete
are making copies of Installers' favorite distros.
- LERT - $100 donation through Pete for helping a fellow who's son
died, and wanted to get sentimental files off of his son's Linux box.
$60 donation through Zach for DSL help.
- Financial Report - $49.33 in voluntary dues were collected.
- Officer Elections - All officers ran unopposed, so they were
instated with no objections. Bill Kendrick remains "root" (Chairperson),
Pete Salzman remains "sys" (Vice Chair), Jen Rutherford remains
"typescript" (Secretary), and Rhonda Bailey steps in as "/dev/null"
- Woodland Community College - Not much news. We may be able
to help teach computer classes there(?).
- LUGOD T-Shirts - Bill will order them later this week.
- Yolo County Library - On October 28th, we donated a collection
of books sent in by New Riders and Coriolis publishing companies.
- LUGOD Library - Henry is now keeping the library at his office.
The Library web page has finally been updated.
- Coffee Machine - People are interested in having coffee
available at meetings. Z-World may be able to supply the machine.
Eric Engelhard has offered to donate coffee.
- Ben & Jerry's FUNdraiser - We couldn't agree on a date
to hold a fundraiser, so we'll discuss it further on VOX.
- Bill Broadley from the UC Davis Math Department discussed "Zope,"
a Python-based, database-driven, Open Source web portal he has installed
and set up for the Math department.
- Joel Baumert
- Jim Riffel
- Pete Salzman
- Jen Rutherford
- Bill Broadley
- Bill Kendrick
- Zach Johnson
- Eric Engelhard
- Henry House
- Roland Minden
- Seth Nagao
- Allan Hollander
- George Finch
- Mohamed Mussa
- Jeff Mandel
- Rick O'Shagnessy
- Kevin Murakoshi
- Rhonda Bailey
- Nicole Carlson
- Jeff Newmiller
- Mike Simons
- ... and 1 other
"Pete, that wasn't on the news - you were watching the Batman cartoon!" -
Bill, on an amazing diamond heist Pete talked about.
"We could do what [Society of Women Engineers] does and have a bake sale."
"Oh, you're going down!" -Pete and Rhonda, discussing fundraising.
of this meeting
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Jul 18 14:21