Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2000.10.16 Meeting Notes"
2000.10.16 Meeting Notes
- 2 senators and 2 house members are trying to pass a netfilter forced on
universities and libraries, it's speared by McCain. Everyone but EFF
actively opposes it!
- High-fiber diets don't prevent colon cancer.
- Microsoft's appeal due November 22, they're limited to 150 pages
(choke!). The Justice Dept. decides by January 12.
- Boy George + Eminem, sitting in a tree...;)
- Docomo Inc. has a finger phone! Literally
- Red Hat 7 has a thousand bugs as of last week. Update Agent loses file
descriptors, and Red Hat crashes every three weeks. Fixes available
- Merle Haggard (country artist) released a record on a punk rock label.
- George Lucas approached David Duchovny for Star Wars 3, Duchovny said
he's busy and turned him down. (Guess he didn't want to play Raj Raj, the
lovable Gungan paranoid conspiracist who tracks down humans? ;)
- 3DFX is suing NVideo.
- Pete held a cellphone contest to determine whose phone had the most
radiation- the Nokia is particularly bad.
- KDE 2 release candidate out, final one will be out soon.
- Open Office project out (aka Star Office under GPL).
- Pete compiled Linux 2.4.
- Nerd Books opened on September 1st in Roseville. It's a large,
family-run technical bookstore. LUGOD members are offered 30% off!
- Demo - We held one on October 7, which attracted lots of people.
The next one will be at Borders October 28, time TBA but probably in the
- DCN - Nothing new.
- Other LUGs
- October 17th - BALUG. Speaker TBA.
- October 22nd - SacLUG Installfest.
- October 25th - Davis PC Users Group.
- November 1st - SVLUG. Speaker TBA.
- November 7th - LUGOD. Bill Broadley on Zope.
- November 8th - SacLUG. Topic TBA.
- November 14th - NBLUG. OpenNMS (Network Management System).
- November 19th - LUGOD Installfest.
- November 20th - Eric Engelhard on Open Source Bioinformatics (genetic
- Installfests - We installed a record-setting 28 systems at
October 8th's IF. (About 1/2 dozen were laptops, and there was one iMac.)
Taos: The Sysadmin Company came by to recruit and buy pizza.
Next IF will be November 19th.
- LERT - No news.
- Financial Report - No voluntary dues were collected (see below).
- Other Donations - David Henley of Nerd Books donated a set of
internet protocol books for people to take for free.
- Officer Nominations - Nominations for LUGOD officers are
now being accepted. (We mistakenly announced this last meeting.)
Elected positions include "root" (Chairperson),
"sys" (Vice-Chair), "typescript" (Secretary), and "/dev/null"
(Treasurer). Voting will begin at the next meeting (November 7th!
Perfect!) Pete Salzman nominated himself for sys and Rhonda Bailey for
- Bylaws and Constitution - Several changes were made and passed
by consent to the Bylaws: typescript's duties, altering the 'sudo'
section to redefine officers, and cutting sections on "unparliamentary
procedure" and Baker's Square.
- Woodland Community College - Nothing new.
- LUGOD T-Shirts - Bill verified with Design Works that the
art will be screened alright as white-on-dark. He still needs to
actually order them!
- Yolo County Library - O'Reilly is considering our request for
book donations for the Yolo County Library. Tom Mayer of Coriolis
Group offered books as well. New Riders has donated 17 books
(two copies each of 5 titles, and single copies of 7 other titles).
At 11am on October 28th (date of LUGOD's next Linux Demo), we're holding
an event (with media attention) at the library.
- Food From Maxim - Steve Nguyen of Maxim Group consulting
attended, and bought deli sandwiches for all!
Jeff Bralley was unable to attend to give his IA64 presentation.
He has been invited to come to a future LUGOD meeting.
- Bill Kendrick
- Jen Rutherford
- Pete Salzman
- Joel Baumert
- Rhonda Bailey
- Roland Minden
- Henry House
- Seth Nagao
- Melissa Hardenbrook
- Foo Lim
- Nicole Carlson
- Steve Nguyen
- Rael Daruszka
- Lee Welter
- Girish Patliker
- Verbus Counts
- Bill Broadley
- Rick O'Shaughnessy
- Pi-hsia Su
- Paul McCain
- Mike Simons
- one other
"The Christian Coalition is saying don't censor our porn!" - Pete.
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Jul 18 14:20