Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2000.10.03 Meeting Notes"
2000.10.03 Meeting Notes
- FBI played around with creating a program that detects from certain
elements in a picture (no, not particularly sexual elements) if it's porn.
The search brings back "pornographic" pictures of landscapes, farmers
markets and dogs. (D'oh!)
- Barnesandnoble.com challenge Amazon.com's 1-click patent.
- Mir has fungus problems- it's so bad, the fungus eats metal! The Russians
are also having money problems- it would take $60 million to get Mir down
to earth in a controlled manner instead of, say, wiping out Paris.
- University of Texas management school guy says that copies of Windows
will end up costing a thousand dollars if Microsoft split.
- Pete ndorsed non-Napster-banning schools, such as the UC system,
Harvard, Princeton, Georgia Tech, University of Florida, University of
- Red Hat 7 is out, xfree 86 4.0 is out. Thousands of bugs are listed for
- Networkingcomputing.com lists their top 10 people of the decade. Tim
Burners Lee is #1, Bill Gates is #2, Linus is #3...
- Mark David Chapman didn't get parole. Oh, what a tragedy.
- Stephen Hawking thinks the world will be uninhabitable in the next
- Microsoft bought 2.4 million shares of non-voting Corel stock.
- The Digital Divas won their battle with Microsoft!
- www.capalert.com lists 120 wrong things in the South Park movie.
- Demo - The next LUGOD Demo will be at the Davis Food Co-Op
from 10am until about 4pm on Saturday (Oct 7th).
- DCN - On September 28th, LUGOD met with Richard Lowenberg of
DCN. They are interested in possibly helping staff Linux Demos that
LUGOD hold. They are still (slowly) refurbishing old PCs.
Richard is interested in writing an article about LUGOD's
"Installfests" and "LERT" projects in DCNews, DCN's electronic
newsletter. He also gave us contacts at the Yolo County Library
(whom LUGOD wishes to donate Linux-related books to) and the
Woodland Community College (who may be interested in using Linux).
DCN is interested in developing server-based applications for
the community using Open Source development tools, and then releasing
it as Open Source for other communities to use.
Minutes from this meeting are
available. The idea mainly
revolves around a community listing search engine / events calendar / etc.
- Other LUGs
- October 4th - SVLUG in San Jose. EFF.
- October 5th - SVBUG (BSD club) in San Jose. FreeBSD co-founder.
- October 11th - SacLUG - no Topic.
- Installfests - Next Installfest will be Sunday, October 8th
(date changed!) from 10am until 6pm at EUII Room 1131 at UC Davis.
Taos Mountain will be sponsoring with help and free pizza!
- LERT - No news.
- Financial Report - $43.40 was collected in voluntary
- Other Donations - Roland Minden donated the book "Learning Debian"
to LUGOD. Seth Nagao donated a burned copy of Corel Linux 1.0.
- Business Cards - LUGOD ordered and received 1000 LUGOD business
cards. Some were passed out during the meeting. If anyone would like
a stack, contact Bill Kendrick.
- Officer Nominations - Nominations for LUGOD officers are
now being accepted. Elected positions include "root" (Chairperson),
"sys" (Vice-Chair), "typescript" (Secretary), and "/dev/null"
(Treasurer). Voting will begin at the next meeting.
- Bylaws and Constitution - A small meeting will be held
on Wednesday evening to discuss changes to LUGOD's ByLaws and
Constitution. The suggested changes will be presented at the next
- Woodland Community College - We have gotten in contact
with Francisco Rodrigues of the Woodland Comm. College and they
are interested in getting our help with Linux. More as things
- LUGOD T-Shirts - Bill Kendrick is still accepting orders
for LUGOD T-shirts. Example are is available online. They will be
dark blue with white screening and cost about $9.00 or $10.00.
- Family Feud Game - Mark Kim is creating an answer buzzer for
Pete Salzman's upcoming "Linux Family Feud" game.
- Yolo County Library - The Yolo Library is interested in any
Linux- and Unix-related books LUGOD has to offer (new and used).
We have contacted New Riders and O'Reilly publishing asking if they're
willing to help. New Riders has offered to donate 10 books of our
chosing to the library.
- Bill Kendrick
- Jen Rutherford
- Pete Salzman
- Joel Baumert
- Rhonda Bailey
- Roland Minden
- Steve McMahon
- Henry House
- Seth Nagao
- Paul Bertain
- Jeff Duncan
- Melissa Hardenbrook
- Foo Lim
- Chris Osborn
- Rob Dawson
- Nicole Carlson
- Daniel Holmlund
- Joe Arruda
- Evan Scarisbrick
- ... and 3 others
"I'm just a big black ray of sunshine in Bill's life." - Joe Arruda.
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Jul 18 14:20