Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 1999.09.21 Meeting Notes"
1999.09.21 Meeting Notes
- The Linux Emergency Response Team (LERT) has been created. They
help install/fix Linux systems for members of the community. A
voluntary donation to LUGOD is asked for.
- The game "Descent" is now Open Source
- The game "Kingpin" is now available commercially for Linux.
- Brian Paul is now working on the 3D graphics library "Mesa" full-time
- Loki Software is looking for 30 programmers to add code to
their Linux port of Activision's game "Civilization: Call To Power."
The resulting game will be released for free!
- Sun Microsystems has purchased Star Office.
- PPP How To - No change.
- Resnet How To - We may be able to have a non-IT organization at
UCD pass out our HOWTO's. IT sounds willing to link to the Resnet HOWTO.
The UCD Computer Science department might help, as they encourage use
of Linux. Due to the size of the document, we may be able to provide
it on floppy.
- Tax Exempt Club Status - Remington met with a lawyer and we
were told that we should strike mention of LERT from our bylaws, and
sign the constitution. The constitution has been signed (by quite a
few people). We need a federal employer ID number.
- Davis High School - VA Linux Systems donated two computers to
- Farmer's Market - A LUGOD sign was made on Friday and we set up
a booth at Saturday's farmer's market. Pete brought a demo PC and laptop
running GNOME and KDE. Star Office, Mathematica and the GIMP were shown
off, amongst many other things. SuSE donated a lot of SuSE Eval. 6.2 CD's
and other giveaways. An FAQ might be useful, if not to pass out, then
for the booth staff.
- Davis Community Network - Foo Lim is now the chair of this
committee. An installation will take place Wednesday at 5:30pm.
- Ambassador to other LUGs - SVLUG
meets on the Wednesday, October 6th.
- Financial Report - We collected $26.33 in voluntary dues. Our
account now holds $285.88.
- Jennifer Rutherford is now Typescript (Secretary).
- Paul Cubbage from Open Country described the history of his company
and how it works. They package and sell Open Source software, providing
distribution, help, and documentation for programmer's software, so they
don't have to worry about it.
- Dominic Maraglia
- Gregori Roussas
- Remington Stone
- Jennifer Rutherford
- Urban Cubbage
- Paul Cubbage
- John Alden
- Hans Uhlig
- Pete Salzman
- Marianne Waage
- Bill Kendrick
- Zach Johnson
- Mike Simons
- Allan Hollander
- Mike O'Neill
- Rob Arnold
- Foo Lim
- John McFall
- Jessica Luedtke
- Nicole Carlson
- Josh Cohen
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Jul 18 14:03