2013 Mar 18 16:24

[vox] [fwd] Announcing The 1st Annual #FREEBASSELDAY on March 15.

Recall that we learned about Bassel Khartibil during the talk on
Open Clip Art Library and related projects.  FYI:

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from "announce@fabricatorz.com" <announce@fabricatorz.com> -----

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:39:44 +0100
From: "announce@fabricatorz.com" <announce@fabricatorz.com>
Subject: [Fabricatorz Announce] Fwd: Announcing The 1st Annual
	#FREEBASSELDAY on March 15.
To: nbs@sonic.net
	<announce@lists.fabricatorz.com>

   This is a special announcement for our request for everyone everywhere
   asking you to please join us in supporting our dear friend, Bassel, for
   the 1 year anniversary of his illegal detainment in Syria. Join us for
   #FREEBASSELDAY.
   Sincerely,
   Jon Phillips
   @rejon
   Announcing The 1st AnnualA #FREEBASSELDAYA on March 15.A
   ###

   We, the supporters of the #FREEBASSEL project are inviting every person,
   everywhere to make an event on March 15, 2013 with other people in your
   city in global solidarity to call for the immediate release of open web
   advocate Bassel Khartibil. This day is the one year anniversary of the
   illegal jailing of Bassel Khartibil, well known free internet pioneer,
   software engineer, teacher, husband, family-man and friend. Bassel is a
   normal guy, in a bad situation. He is now stuck in a Syrian jail cell
   where he is not able to directly contribute to his local and global
   communities. We demand his captors to #FREEBASSEL!
   Bassel is ALIVE.
   Join us to create an activity, event or even a party to celebrate the
   great work and ongoing life of Bassel. We challenge other leaders of the
   free internet and open web to create events to make #FREEBASSEL t-shirts,
   release #FREEBASSEL software, put up #FREEBASSEL posters in your city, to
   make food together or even to throw a party at a local bar with
   #FREEBASSEL images and songs playing. Have a cheers for #FREEBASSEL and
   tweet the picture of your group publicly in your local language.
   #FREEBASSEL = #FREEINTERNET
   By freeing Bassel, you help to free the Internet. Joining the global
   movement is simple. List your city below, use the #FREEBASSELDAY hashtag
   on Twitter, Instagram and other social networks, set a goal for what you
   will do on this day and spread the word! For those community leaders out
   there like Bassel, pick an activity, a location for people in your
   community to meetup and make known the time for the gathering to your
   community. Then, let&#039;s all have a global #FREEBASSELDAY.
   The 2nd Anniversary of Syrian Uprising and #FREEBASSELDAY
   If this event is successful we will #FREEBASSEL. Setup your event with an
   idea below, and have your community #FREEBASSEL:
   a*^3 Update Bassel's Wikipedia entry:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassel_KhartabilA
   a*^3 Translate Bassel's Wikipedia entry into your own language
   a*^3 Make our event global: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_15
   a*^3 Make #FREEBASSEL t-shirts from the FREEBASSEL Avatar:
   http://freebassel.org
   a*^3 Print out #FREEBASSEL Posters, and put them up all over your city
   a*^3 Take pictures of your meeting raising your cups to #FREEBASSEL
   a*^3 Create #FREEBASSEL artwork
   a*^3 Write a #FREEBASSEL song
   a*^3 Make a video to #FREEBASSEL, post on the web
   a*^3 Write a blog-post or news article about #FREEBASSELDAY
   a*^3 Release software into the public domain dedicated to #FREEBASSELDAY
   a*^3 Release audio, video, image and texts dedicated to #FREEBASSELDAY
   About #FREEBASSEL
   #FREEBASSEL is a campaign to bring about the safe and immediate release of
   Bassel Khartabil from wrongful detainment in Syria since March 2012. He is
   a well known contributor to global software and culture communities like
   Creative Commons, Mozilla Firefox, Wikipedia, Open Clip Art Library,
   Fabricatorz, and Sharism. He is missed by these communities, his family,
   friends and loved ones. The campaign says, "We will not stop campaigning
   for him until we see him as a free global citizen once again."
   For more information
   a*^3 Organizing Page: http://freebasselday.orgA
   a*^3 Official Website: http://freebassel.orgA
   a*^3 Press Release: