2013 Feb 28 00:05

Re: [vox] dual boot Linux on a Mac?

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com="mailto:brian@brie.com">> wrote:
 I heard the Retina display on Mac does not work well with Linux.
I just tried booting from an Ubuntu USB key, and it worked fine on my 13" MacBook Pro with Retina screen, although the DPI settings would probably need to be adjusted unless you like REALLY tiny text. I wasn't using one of the special "for Mac" Ubuntu images, so I wasn't able to test things like wifi or hot keys (well really I just didn't even try hot keys) , but if anyone is interested I could test it out more thoroughly.

Daniel

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 03:56:20PM -0800, Norm Matloff wrote:
> I'm in the market for a small Ultrabook, SSD-only, and am considering
> getting a Mac for the hardware quality. I would install Linux on it,
> I've never used a Mac and don't have any desire to use OS X. I hate to
> get rid of the Mac software, so I would dual boot.
>
> But...I'd like to avoid unnecessary complications in my life. :-) Would
> getting a Mac be risky in that regard? And areo any particular Linux
> distros recommended for the Mac?

I am using the Thinkpad X1 Carbon touch with Fedora 18. Everything works with
no proprietary drivers. It has a 256 Gig SSD. 1600x900 screen. It's not
a Mac though. Resume after suspend is almost instantaneous. The laptop
runs cool. The only issue I have is that in order to adjust the brightness,
I have to open the brightness settings first. After doing this, the
brightness buttons work. Brightness controls work well with Ubuntu.

I heard the Retina display on Mac does not work well with Linux.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/