2013 Feb 16 17:06

Re: [vox] dual boot Linux on a Mac?

On 02/16/2013 04:13 PM, Daniel Nelson wrote:
> Not all Linux Distros have perfect support for Apple hardware (I think Ubuntu does have support), but there isn't any intrinsic issue with dual-booting Linux. The simplest way is to use the Boot Camp Assistant to resize your hard drive and then just install Linux when it tells you to install Windows :). That will use the BIOS emulation mode that Windows needs though, whereas some Linux distributions can use native EFI booting, but I don't know how easy that is to set up. It's probably as simple as setting up rEFIt, but it might not be.
>
> I have a 13" MBP w/ Retina, and I'd be happy to try booting from any Linux live USB distro (it doesn't have a CD drive) you want and see if it works properly. That said, I must say that despite years of using Linux as my daily OS, OS X is much more polished, and still has all the nice *NIX underpinnings, so my Linux use is now confined to servers and my HTPC.

This is probably the info you need:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir

FYI, to boot an ubuntu usb stick on a Mac you need to find the +mac
variant that has a tweak to make it work right.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/release/ubuntu-12.04.2-alternate-amd64+mac.iso

I would also suggest to compare against Ultrabooks from Lenovo (see
thinkwiki.org for compatibility info) and Asus.

Fedora would also be a good candidate.

Enjoy,
Alex