2013 Feb 15 13:14

Re: [vox] Can anyone help?

Alex,
That sounds reasonable.
I think you may need this info as well.
Pentium(R)  4 1.70 GHz CPU
1.69 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
Thanks again for the info!
Namaste'
Scot

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> wrote:
On 02/14/2013 04:08 PM, Vincenzo Ampolo wrote:
> On 02/14/2013 03:30 PM, Bill Ward wrote:
>> Why? Is that because of gnome? How about Xubuntu?
>
> It's because latest unity wants 3d drivers by default.
> I tried to run it without 3d drivers on my pc and it simply freezes or
> is near to freeze as soon as I attached to an external monitor.
>
> I was good to go as soon as I installed the nvidia drivers with 3d support.
>
> And this is 2 years old pc, I can't imagine with a 10 years old one.
>
> This doesn't mean that you can't run it, just expect a bit of tweaking
> with Ubuntu, the same tweaking that you would save using a Xubuntu or
> Lubuntu (LXDE).
>
> If you are still going to try, let me know how does it go :)

I partially agree. I have Ubuntu 2d unity running fine on an atom based
box. But yes if the machine is 10 years old some other more minimal
distro might be better. There's also a pretty good chance the machine is
not capable of usb booting.

Lets see if we can narrow down the selection a little bit to something
more appropriate and I can burn a couple for you (I have plenty of
blanks that will just waste away as is).

Thanks,
Alex