2013 Feb 15 12:25

Re: [vox] Can anyone help?

Vincenzo,
I have used Xubuntu in the past with very little trouble.
The only reason I had to switch back was due to school.
I have online course work that does not play well with
Linux O/S.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Vincenzo Ampolo <vincenzo.ampolo@gmail.com> wrote:
On 02/14/2013 03:30 PM, Bill Ward wrote:
> Why? Is that because of gnome? How about Xubuntu?

It's because latest unity wants 3d drivers by default.
I tried to run it without 3d drivers on my pc and it simply freezes or
is near to freeze as soon as I attached to an external monitor.

I was good to go as soon as I installed the nvidia drivers with 3d support.

And this is 2 years old pc, I can't imagine with a 10 years old one.

This doesn't mean that you can't run it, just expect a bit of tweaking
with Ubuntu, the same tweaking that you would save using a Xubuntu or
Lubuntu (LXDE).

If you are still going to try, let me know how does it go :)

--
Vincenzo Ampolo
http://goshawknest.wordpress.com/