January 6: Social gathering
2012 Apr 30 16:20

Re: [vox] Anyone installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

On 04/27/2012 08:53 AM, Carl Boettiger wrote:
> Bill, list,
>
> Thanks for explaining the flash situation, very enlightening.  Does this
> all hold true for chromium (the open source/unbranded version of chrome) or
> just google chrome?

I believe so.  Not up to date on the differences.  But the general idea
is that the parent process interacts with the network, filesystem,
cookies, etc.  Then the per tab renderer uses an API so you can survive
a per tab death/corruption and have additional security between tabs.

> Sounds like Ubuntu recommends some amazon S3 mirrors
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/ubuntu-1204-arrives-and-its-great/10836>which
> to speed downloads.

Heh, silly, but nice.  I'd rather have a torrent, but fast mirrors are a
nice alternative.

I've been using 12.04 as a desktop and so far my main complaint is a
huge waste of screen space.  Sure it's reasonable on a 10 netbook where
you run everything fullscreen.  But on 2x20" monitors you get 32" bar at
the top of the screen for volume, login, and time... really?  You can't
even add things to it. Two 0.75"x12" docks?  Just to launch the
3 or 4 things I use often.

With some tweaking, getting rid of global menus (but not the top bar),
shrink the dock to the minimum, it's not bad.  The good news is they
didn't cripple compiz like the previous Unity desktops did.

I like to be able to toggle vertical maximization with a keystroke and
the desktop cube for switching desktops easily with mouse and keyboard.
It all works with 12.04.

Sure I'd like to either merge the dock and top bar, or at least get them
to run on one monitor instead of two.  But at least until the next
version of mint come out it seems reasonable.