2012 Jan 10 00:32

Re: [vox] ubuntu, java, and processing

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:58:48PM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 07:23 PM, Eric Engelhard wrote:
> > Processing (the language) applications did not work under the
> > openjdk-6-jre, icedtea6-plugin, openjdk-6-jdk trifecta, which is why I
> > originally installed Oracle Java 6. The licensing/purging issue under
> > Ubuntu has created a fine opportunity to test the above trifecta once
> > again... no cigar. Apparently, a manual install of Oracle Java 6 is
> > the only solution for using processing under Ubuntu.
>
> I've got a fairly stock ubuntu 11.10 desktop.  I downloaded
> processing-1.5.1-linux.tgz from processing.org.  I did:
> tar xvzf processing-1.5.1-linux.tgz
> cd processing-1.5.1/
> ./processing
> In the window I typed "ellipse(50, 50, 80, 80);"
>
> Then I hit play and a ellipse appeared.
>
> My ubuntu install included (by default I believe) openjdk:
> $ ls -al /usr/bin/java /etc/alternatives/java
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 2010-10-11 21:36 /etc/alternatives/java ->
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2010-10-11 21:36 /usr/bin/java ->
> /etc/alternatives/java
>
> Ah, I poked around a bit further and it looks like they include their
> own package of Java.
>
> I poked around and could not find a "just source" version of processing.
>  There is a -windows-expert, but I'd hope that included something
> windows specific.
>
> I tried processing with my systems OpenJDK.  I did get a warning, but
> then it looked fine.  The only testing I did was "ellipse(50, 50, 80,
> 80);".   I did check that the java process running was
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java and not the one included in the
> package.
>
> Has anyone used processing+openjdk more extensively?  I'd be interested
> to hear if it's up to non-trivial usage.

Yes, I should have clarified that it is published APPLETS that I can
not view such as my own applets as well as those at
openprocessing.org. I can design locally, but can not view my work
pushed to my web pages. I am still running Ubuntu 10.04 on my netbook
and would be very interested if 11.10 resolves this issue, but I
believe that it does not.

Eric