2012 Jan 06 08:24

Re: [vox] ubuntu, java, and processing

On 01/05/2012 07:23 PM, Eric Engelhard wrote:
> Processing (the language) applications did not work under the
> openjdk-6-jre, icedtea6-plugin, openjdk-6-jdk trifecta, which is why I
> originally installed Oracle Java 6. The licensing/purging issue under
> Ubuntu has created a fine opportunity to test the above trifecta once
> again... no cigar. Apparently, a manual install of Oracle Java 6 is
> the only solution for using processing under Ubuntu.

I've got a fairly stock ubuntu 11.10 desktop.  I downloaded
processing-1.5.1-linux.tgz from processing.org.  I did:
tar xvzf processing-1.5.1-linux.tgz
cd processing-1.5.1/
./processing
In the window I typed "ellipse(50, 50, 80, 80);"

Then I hit play and a ellipse appeared.

My ubuntu install included (by default I believe) openjdk:
$ ls -al /usr/bin/java /etc/alternatives/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 2010-10-11 21:36 /etc/alternatives/java ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2010-10-11 21:36 /usr/bin/java ->
/etc/alternatives/java

Ah, I poked around a bit further and it looks like they include their
own package of Java.

I poked around and could not find a "just source" version of processing.
 There is a -windows-expert, but I'd hope that included something
windows specific.

I tried processing with my systems OpenJDK.  I did get a warning, but
then it looked fine.  The only testing I did was "ellipse(50, 50, 80,
80);".   I did check that the java process running was
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java and not the one included in the
package.

Has anyone used processing+openjdk more extensively?  I'd be interested
to hear if it's up to non-trivial usage.