2011 Nov 29 12:34

Re: [vox] Regarding: "Stop Online Piracy Act" that everybodyscreams about...

Re: [vox] Regarding: "Stop Online Piracy Act" that everybodyscreams about...

Actually, certain types of porn are illegal, not only in this country
(USA), but other countries internationally.

Secondly, speaking to the vagueness alluded to, all laws tend to be
somewhat vague.

As with all law, there has to be probable cause for an action to be
initiated. This bill is no different, and further, spells out
consequences for filing false reports by the copyright holder et al.

After reading it from beginning to end, I, personally, think it is a
good law. If enacted, it might give us the right to circumvent
encryption protections on DVD and rip licensed copies to our personal
computer or other digital devices strictly for personal use much like
the current RIAA guideleines for ripping our music CD's to our personal
devices. This would, of course, have to be tested with a lawsuit
contesting the restrictions imposed by the DMCA on ripping DVD's with
copy protection. This might be defended as a moot point since almost all
DVD's I have bought within the last year now include a code for d/l'ing
a digital copy to a personal digital device including my laptop or other
device.

Currently, court decisions (case laws) under the DMCA make it illegal to
circumvent the encryption protections, but does NOT speak to the rights
of licensed copy owners to rip for personal use on their digital
devices. A close read of this law suggests it might be used to counter
the DMCA on DVD's for personal use.

As with all copyright issues, the licensed user MUST maintain a
permanent copy of the original CD/DVD for "Fair Use Laws" to apply. Give
away the original, lose the rights to the copy...

I have an extensive library of VHS and DVD originals that have
encryption protection in place. VHS's have a limited life-expectancy.
So, I would definitely love to be able to convert to a DVD format, and
since my laptop is my primary entertainment system when I am not home, I
would love to be able to convert my entire library to digital format and
store on my laptop or external HDD drive for portability.

I would encourage everyone to read the the bill in its entirety.

Here are the link/s again (all available links I could find, btw)

online: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-3261

PDF:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=112_cong_bills&docid=f:h3261ih.txt.pdf

PDF: http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/pdf/112%20HR%203261.pdf

online: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:h3261:

Takes a couple hours to wade throught the text.

IMHO,

MJR