2011 Nov 02 13:50

Re: [vox] bogus staffing company?

The strange thing is I just got a different email from different recruiter
of theirs with a "Dear Consultant," at the top for the same gig. If they
are legit, they are searching for someone for a Gig in San Francisco for
a Sys admin.  I had this happen with a different company out of Chicago
advertising for jobs in Minnesota. I would get three generic emails from
three different recruiters.

And to answer Micah, there is a phone. I could have looked a little closer.

brian

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 01:15:34PM -0700, Eric Rasmussen wrote:
> The sad thing is some legitimate websites are so full of meaningless
> buzzwords that they're hard to distinguish from bogus sites. But in
> this case it looks like they've had that domain registered since 2007
> and have multiple listings across multiple employment sites, so I'm
> guessing they're an actual company, just engaging in questionable
> email practices.
>
> -Eric
>

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name> wrote:
> > (11/02/2011 12:44 PM), Brian Lavender wrote:
> >> I received what appears a bogus recruiting email from the following site.
> >> http://www.itbrainiac.com
> >>
> >> If you look at the website, it has no phone contact, names and appears to
> >> be.... bogus.
> >
> > No phone contact? What about at
> > http://www.itbrainiac.com/contact_us.html (via the "Contact Us" tab)?
> >
> > It doesn't strike me as all that unusual for names to be absent from a
> > website... is there anything in particular that makes you think this is
> > a bogus company? I don't see anything that strikes me as particularly
> > odd (cursory look). Except that they don't seem to be in whitepages.com
> > (but the number from their website maps to a NY, NY landline, matching
> > their contact address).
> >
> >> The email doesn't address me and just lists the position.
> >
> > Is that unusual for recruiters? I get that sort of unsolicited (but
> > apparently career-relevant), generic job offer all the time. All the
> > less surprising if you consider they probably blast the mail to a
> > prepared list of potentially-interested email addresses (culled from
> > resumes?)
> >
> > --
> > Micah J. Cowan
> > http://micah.cowan.name/