2011 Sep 13 15:22

[vox] Paperless Office Transition

Close. I left a paper-dependent office to work at a paperless
office. The difference is clearly definable.

> I have been tasked with working as part of a team to transition our large
> governmental agency to a paperless office. :o)

In the current economic and political environments, paper must go.

> Curious what opportunities, pitfalls, ideas everyone has.<hr>_______________________________________________

The primary activity that defines a paperless commercial office
is electronic entry of the revenue transactions from customers.

However, it's easier to establish paperless system to handle purchasing
transactions with vendors. My paper-dependent office had this. And I
was on the team of software developers making these. It was always a
goal
to create data-entry screens robust enough to allow the customer
service representative (CSR) to capture the sales order via a keyboard.
But
it never materialized. They always had to capture the order on paper,
and then have a clerk do the data-entry.

I left that company for a tele-marketing company that answered
the phones for 1-800 commercials. When an "operators are standing by"
commercial would play, then hundreds and (sometimes) thousands
of revenue transactions appeared. This level of throughput was
achievable only through robust data-entry screens. The CSR was
presented with a data-entry wizard that was tree-like and could
branch to where ever the order needed to go.

Okay, that's good for commercial. But what about government offices?
What is your agency's equivalent of a transaction, that initial request
for services?

The data-entry screens to record these transactions live and the
screens to record your vendor purchases, source funds, and
payroll must:

1) be secure, robust, and complete.
2) allow errors to be corrected.
3) electronically flow journal entries to your many fund accounts.

Only then will your Statement of Fund Net Assets and your Statement
of Changes in Fund Net Assets be delivered without any paper
being consumed.