2011 Aug 16 08:43

[vox] Games mentioned tonight

Figured I'd pass along some of the games mentioned tonight, especially
since many mentioned aren't particularly popular.

For those not there, there was some on topic discussion, but a fair
amount of open ended discussions of various linux games.

Did anyone that went to the meeting catch the space game that looked 2D,
had multiple ship types, and had a name approximately "AEVN"

Arcade:

   LiquidWar - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/  Sadly I
            couldn't get liquid war 6 working on my 11.04 box with
            source or the .deb.  Somewhat of a RTS.  Basically
            particle physics to surround the enemy.
   Mars a ridiculous shooter - Basically a pink spacewar with gravity

Turn based strategy games -
   Crimson Fields - http://crimson.seul.org/download.php
   Battle for Wesnoth - Includes an ipad port of the GPL
                        http://www.wesnoth.org/

Physics based games -
   Rigs of rods - Drive simulated vehicles with soft body physics,
                  deformable models, weigh distribution, flight
                  characteristics based on wing shape, etc.
                  http://www.rigsofrods.com
   torcs - Open racing car simulator to allow racing between computer
           programs. http://torcs.sourceforge.net/

RTS -
    Warzone 2100 - http://wz2100.net/ Fairly involved military
                   simulation, sophisticated tech tree, extensive
                   campaigns.
    Globulation2 - http://globulation2.org/wiki/Main_Page, mostly a
                   build up a city so you have enough resources to win
                   type game.  Kind of like majesty.
    Spring2 - http://springrts.com/  I've not played.
    Netrek - Ancient game, still has a community, basically a
             multiplayer spacewar with teams: http://www.netrek.org/
    Glest - http://glest.org/en/ 3D tech vs magic where you build
            buildings/train people, and advance in the tech tree.

MMORPG - Ryzom http://www.ryzom.com/en/ (not played)

Random sites shown:
   http://freegamer.blogspot.com/