2011 Aug 15 17:55

[vox] Dell halts sales of Ubuntu machines from their website

[vox] Dell halts sales of Ubuntu machines from their website

While Dell still works closely on making sure that Ubuntu runs on their
systems, they won't be selling them directly from their website. I
discovered this today from the Dell Linux desktops mailing list.

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-desktops/2011-August/003874.html

Some on the list are crying conspiracy, but I think as far as business
goes, it wasn't a money maker for Dell.

I have installed Linux on a few friends machines, and it works well,
but when it comes to running the Windows app, which so many seem to
need to do at some point, the linux machine falls flat. I have tried
configuring friends with VirtualBox and it just hasn't cut it. So,
there's System 76. Or just buy the Dell knowing it will work with
Ubuntu.
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Dell

Oh, and dell will still sell Ubuntu to certain business customers.

I have been extremely happy with my Vostro v13 and Ubuntu. I was
hoping much more for world domination. Oh well, another year for
Linux on the desktop has come again. Maybe next year?

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/