2011 Jun 15 20:49

Re: [vox] Who thinks Java is cool?

Java the language is too verbose, but I still enjoy working in Java. Scala is a great way to make things better, and I hope there's more Scala adoption. Here's what I like about the Java world:

Because the grammar is much simpler, there are a lot of tools that parse Java code. Eclipse gives me features like "Where is this method called?" and "Which classes override this method?" which I use all the time.

The JVM as a platform is easy to work with. NullPointerExceptions with stack traces showing the line of code that is broken are so much better that a core dump / segfault that it would probably make sense to compile C/C++ to JVM bytecode for testing/debugging. Thread dumps (show me the current stack trace for each thread) and heap dumps (similar to a core file from a C program, but the Java code keeps running) are really helpful for the trickiest bugs.

The standard library for Java is big and well documented. Writing a simple web server is easy, the generic collections API is well designed, and there are lots of helpers for concurrency like worker thread pools and thread-safe collections. It is also easy to use jar file libraries, and there are many open-source libraries for a variety of purposes.

Because the JVM bytecode is simple, standardized and well-documented, there are many tools for working with it. FindBugs analyzes byte code and tells you where some bugs are. ASM is a library that makes it even easier to read/understand/write bytecode. And of course, other JVM languages like Scala compile directly to JVM bytecode instead of generating Java code.

Via the reflection API and dynamic proxies you can do the kinds of things that you'd do with method_missing in Ruby. Scala has added implicit conversions that let you effectively add methods to other classes: people seem to want to add methods to String a lot.

Harold

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:34 AM, Gandalf Parker <gandalf@community.net> wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Brian Lavender wrote:

> I used to hate Java, but now I think it's cool.
>
> Any comments?

I havent bothered yet. I have the books for every new language that has
come out but until I have something that I cant do in my old favorite Im
just not motivated to learn a new one

Gandalf  Parker