2011 Jun 07 17:31

[vox] Open Knowledge Foundation, ODbL (license), etc.

[vox] Open Knowledge Foundation, ODbL (license), etc.

So as a past contributor to OpenStreetMap, I recently received an email
asking me whether I agree to relicense my contributions under the ODbL
(Open Database License).

I've been a bit out of touch, and I admit I haven't had time to investigate
any of this thoroughly, but I knew there must be people out here who'd find
this interesting -- esp. some of our friends from the Open Science group[*]).

* Open Knowledge Foundation
  http://okfn.org/

  We seek a world in which open knowledge is ubiquitous and
  routine. We seek to promote open knowledge because of its potential to
  deliver far-reaching societal benefits. Read more about our vision.

  What is Open Knowledge?

    "Open Knowledge" is any content, information or data that people are
    free to use, re-use redistribute and without any legal, technological
    or social restriction. We detail exactly what openness entails in the
    Open Knowledge Definition. The main principles are:

    * Free and open access to the material
    * Freedom to redistribute the material
    * Freedom to reuse the material
    * No restriction of the above based on who someone is (e.g. their
      nationality) or their field of endeavour (e.g. commercial or
      non-commercial)

  What is the Open Knowledge Foundation?

    The Open Knowledge Foundation (OKF) is a not-for-profit
    organization founded in 2004 and dedicated to promoting open knowledge
    in all its forms. It is a leader in this field nationally and
    internationally.

    The Foundation's activities are organized around individual working
    groups and projects, each focused on a different aspect of open
    knowledge, but united by a common set of concerns, and a common set of
    traditions in both etiquette and process. These are explained in more
    is detail on the governance page, but can be summarized as:

    * Open discussion
    * Meritocracy
    * Tolerance

* Open Data Commons
  http://www.opendatacommons.org/

  Open Data Commons exists to provide legal solutions for open data.
  In March 2008 it launched the first ever open data license: the
  Public Domain Dedication and License (PDDL). Open Data Commons is an
  Open Knowledge Foundation project run by its Advisory Council and like
  the Foundation is a not-for-profit effort working for the benefit of
  the general open knowledge community.

  Licenses:

  * Public Domain Dedication and License (PDDL) -- "Public Domain for
    data/databases"

  * Attribution License (ODC-By) -- "Attribution for data/databases"

  * Open Database License (ODC-ODbL) -- "Attribution Share-Alike for
    data/databases"

Enjoy!

[*] http://openwetware.org/wiki/UC_Davis_Open_Science

Sent from my computer