2011 Apr 27 10:20

Re: [vox] Best Linux-based tablet?

On 26/04/2011, Darth Borehd <darth.borehd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking at tablet PCs.  I would like something primarily used for
> e-book reading (mostly my own PDFs and OpenOffice documents).  I will mostly
> use it with wi-fi at home and off-line while riding on a train.  Do you have
> one you can recommend that is linux-based?  I would, of course, prefer it to
> be as open-source and DRM-free as possible.

Hello Darth,
I use the WeTab all the time for reading news, PDFs and e-books. OO 3
is installed, but I use it more for reading than for editing. I use 3G
Internet exclusively. Actually, this is the PC that got me hooked on
watching YouTube. Baad, bad! Another pitch is the company ported
Bill's Tux Paint to it. My nieces had a lot of fun. See the article
on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeTab

It's a fully-blown Intel PC, so you can install anything you want on
it without any elaborate hack. For now I left it at the default MeeGo
distribution, which uses RPM. The one catch is it's a German product,
but you may be able to order it through Amazon. An identical product
is retailed in Canada, but runs a customized Windows 7:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExoPC

The WeTab has an active community at:
http://www.wetab-community.com
I had them add an English-only section, where you can get some help.
The Germans are friendlier than you might expect!

Samsung and Toshiba market small, Android-based tablets, but I have no
experience with them. I really am disappointed with the lack of
iPad-like tablets. I was expecting 2011 to be a breakout year for
tablets!

HTH and good luck,
Edwin
[Yes, I am in Germany]