2011 Apr 25 10:44

Re: [vox] Good quiet hardware for Myth TV

Re: [vox] Good quiet hardware for Myth TV

> 1.  Each RAM module works fine on it's own, but when used together, the
> computer boots less than 25% of the time.

Ugly.

Things are getting more complicated these days.  No longer can you buy DIMMs
that say "DDR3-1333" and be sure of compatibility.  I recommend one of:
1) Buy only dimms that are ACTUALLY tested for compatibility and documented
    by the motherboard vendor as certified as compatible.  (most expensive,
    but still cheap).
2) Buy only from vendors with a 100% money back guarantee and listed
    compatibility with your motherboard.  Someone like dataram or kingston.
    Medium cost.
3) Cheapest is to read reviews on amazon/newegg looking for someone that is
    nice enough to post the FULL part number of a dimm that works well.

I've been personally burned by this, and there's often required specs that are
not documented in any of the normal dimm descriptions.  For instance buying
dimms that are DDR3-1333 ECC registered are very likely to NOT work on
lynnfield xeons that list that as the spec.

Of course the problem could be elsewhere, BIOS settings, hardware,
underpowered power supply (even if the specs claim otherwise).  Sometimes
timing requirements are different for 1 vs 2 dimms.  You might for instance
have to run 2 dimms at 667 MHz, even if 1 dimm works at 800 Mhz.  I would of
course recommend the most conservative possible BIOS settings while
troubleshooting.