2011 Apr 23 21:38

Re: [vox] Good quiet hardware for Myth TV

On 04/21/2011 11:39 AM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> Wes' presentation Monday night got me thinking that I should

Sadly I missed it.

> build a Myth TV box. I guess the biggest thing I am thinking about is
> noise and size, similar to my existing Tivo box. It is very quiet.
> Any recommendations on cases and fans?

Well the cooler your CPU/GPU is the easier silent cooling is.  I've seen two
approaches.  Some folks have a big beefy machine with tons of disk/cpu for
ripping/transcoding/hdtv cards and a thin client (just for video out/remote
control).  Others go with a single box.  If you want near silent, a couple
disks, and a CPU that's good at compression/decompression/transcoding and
related duties I'd consider this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/silverstone-gd05

If you want just a thin client with hdmi out you can definitely find smaller.

> I thought there was a page of hardware setups, but I can't find it.
> Is there a page on suggested hardware setups?

Nvidia seems to be the preferred choice for low CPU utilization, best linux
support, and stable HDTV output.   Just about anything with an nvidia should
handle HDTV output.  If you want something new, quiet (no fans), and
relatively low power I'd consider something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131663

I've been slightly less happy with the AMD drivers, but this is pretty
competitive as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131697

Certainly if you want more CPU for ripping or transcoding I'd upgrade to an
AMD quad or 6 core (cheap) or intel sandy bridge(less cheap).