2011 Apr 14 08:47

Re: [vox] Linux Laptop Purchase - Soliciting Suggestions

Re: [vox] Linux Laptop Purchase - Soliciting Suggestions

I love my Dell Vostro V13n. But everytime I say Dell, everyone pooh poohs
it. The Dell Vostro V130n is very similar. I am just running a Celeron
1.3 GHz with 4 Gigs ram (DDR3). It is not real fast, but defintely faster
than the Atom 1.6 GHz. Weighs 3.5 lbs, full keyboard. About 2 plus hours
battery life after one year. Suspend works great.

Dell was good about fixing it when the drive started resetting on the bus.
It has small flat ribbon connectors and I think I messed up the SATA
connector when I swapped out the hard drive for a bigger one.

I did almost my whole MS project on it. I don't know if that says much,
but I kept installing libraries, etc, and it kept ticking!

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:23:16PM -0700, Kevin Schultz wrote:
>    So...any recent experience purchasing a laptop to run Linux? ;o)
>    Saving up for a laptop purchase in the next few months:
>      * Primary user: UC-Davis computer engineering undergrad
>        ([1]2011-12 recommended specs)
>      * List of [2]UC-Davis computer engineering software--for example,
>        Matlab (does not sound too intense)
>      * Migrating from an [3]HP Compaq nc6000 business notebook, circa 2004
>      * Budgeting $400-$700
>      * PC only (no Mac)
>      * Casual gaming only (namely, Flash-based Facebook games)--desktop
>        will be where real gaming occurs
>      * Matte screen (as opposed to glossy, so it works decent outdoors)
>      * Intel i5 or above or equivalent AMD
>
>    Thanks for any insights!
>
> References
>
>    1. http://computerownership.ucdavis.edu/config.php