January 6: Social gathering
2011 Apr 06 18:37

[vox] [OT] Atari Party in Davis, June 11th

[vox] [OT] Atari Party in Davis, June 11th

The 3rd annual "Atari Party" in Davis has been scheduled for
Saturday, June 11th, 2011, from 12pm-5pm.

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2011/

Join other curious/nostalgic attendees and regional Atarians for a day of
video games on a variety of Atari systems:
Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, 400/800/XL/XE, ST/TT, Lynx and Jaguar,
plus emulated arcade games on GameBoy Advance & PlayStation2.

We'll also be screening the documentary file "Once Upon Atari" during the
event, and the 1984 spy-thriller-with-Atari-game "Cloak & Dagger" at the
end of the event.

Finally, there'll be a free prize give-away where you could win anything from
Atari-themed t-shirts and playing cards to actual Atari systems!

This event is completely free, and open to the public.  (This includesd the
movies and prize give-away!  Yes: just show up, and you may walk away with
an Atari 1200XL or Flashback 2+!)

PS - So that this isn't _totally_ off-topic for Linux users:

  * One set of prizes are classic Atari joysticks that connect to USB
    [ http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2011/prizes/ ]

  * Speaking of USB, one of the designers/patent-holders of USB was the
    designer of the Atari 8-bit's "SIO" (Serial I/O) standard.
    [ http://www.atarimuseum.com/articles/joedecuir.html &
      http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/computers.html ]

  * Atari 2600 ('stella'), 8-bit computer ('atari800') and ST/TT ('hatari')
    open source emulators are available for Linux (just an apt-get away!)

  * Atari's "APX" (Atari Program Exchange) was kind of a mail-order
    predecessor to the now-common 'App Stores' found on Apple platforms,
    Android, etc.  (Which are of course very similar to the software
    repositories we've all loved & enjoyed on Linux for years. :) )
    [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Program_Exchange ]

Sent from my computer