2011 Mar 20 10:28

[vox] USENIX LISA '11 Call for Participation Now Available

[vox] USENIX LISA '11 Call for Participation Now Available

The 25th Large Installation System Administration Conference (LISA
'11) doesn't exist without your great papers!  This year we've added new
categories to make it easier to submit.  Email lisa11chairs@usenix.org
if you want to bounce ideas off us.

The Call for Participation with submission guidelines and sample topics
can be found on the USENIX Web site at:

http://www.usenix.org/lisa11/cfpa/

On behalf of the Program Committee, we would like to invite you to
contribute proposals and ideas for LISA '11.

The theme for LISA '11 is "DevOps: New Challenges, Proven Values."
DevOps is "an umbrella concept that refers to anything that improves
the interaction between development and operations."  While usually
associated with Web operations, the tools and techniques are now being
mainstreamed into the enterprise.  While DevOps is new, it embodies
themes long popular at LISA: automation, performance, scaling,
collaboration, and cooperation.

The conference's diverse groups of participants are matched by an
equally broad spectrum of activities, and we invite proposals and ideas
for them all:

* Refereed papers are written papers, 8 to 18 pages long, that describe
work that advances the art or practice of system administration.

* NEW! LISA '11 will now include practice and experience reports.  Each
report will describe a substantial system administration project whose
story reveals lessons worth sharing.

* Talks are 30- or 60-minute presentations by experts on a single topic
of interest to system administrators.

* Guru sessions:  Q&A with an expert!  Are you a guru?  These sessions
are
a chance to share your expertise with your fellow system administrators.
For the audience these are a chance to get your questions on a specific
topic or technology answered by an acknowledged expert.

* Poster Session: This is your chance to share an idea that could turn
into something more formal at next year's conference.  Posters are a
good
way to get feedback on research that may not be "ready for prime time."

* Workshops are half-day or full-day sessions for small groups
(typically no more than 30 people) to share ideas and knowledge.

* The training program offers tutorials that are also half-day or full-
day
sessions but, unlike workshops, tutorials are generally intended for an
instructor to share knowledge, not to be open discussions.

* Birds-of-a-Feather sessions (BoFs) are informal gatherings held in the
evenings.  Topics range from use of a particular software package or
product, through folks wanting to talk politics, to people interested in
a particular aspect of computing.

LISA '11 takes place December 4-9, 2011, in Boston, MA.

We look forward to hearing from you!

On behalf of the LISA '11 Organizers,

Thomas A. Limoncelli, Google, Inc.
Doug Hughes, D.E. Shaw Research, LLC.
LISA '11 Program Co-Chairs
lisa11chairs@usenix.org

IMPORTANT DATES
Extended abstracts, papers, experience reports, and proposals for
invited talks, workshops, and tutorials due:  June 9, 2011, 11:59 p.m.
PDT
Notification to all submitters:  July 11, 2011
Final papers and reports due:  September 15, 2011
Poster proposals due:  November 11, 2011
Submission guidelines and more information can be found at
http://www.usenix.org/lisa11/cfpa/