2011 Jan 18 18:38

Re: [vox] age 1-2 kids Linux software

On 01/18/2011 05:37 PM, Darth Borehd wrote:
> My daughters, ages 1 and  5, both love tuxpaint. My older daughter has been
> using since she could sit up in the chair.

Heh, my daughter started using tuxpaint between 1 and 2.  Her main complaint
was that my mouse was too large.  She would stare at the mouse, stare at her
hand, then say "ouch".

So I'd recommend:
* Buy a wireless "travel" mouse (kid sized) for $12 from radio shack.
* Make sure your sound/speakers are working
* Select the stamp tool, adjust size/color to taste, pick whatever is
   popular with your kid (butterflies?  Dinosaurs?) at the moment, place
   their hand on the mouse and make a few stamps.

The result in my case was an entertained child for a good while.  I had to
help select stamp tool, pick different stamps, different sizes, and colors...
a few times.  She picked it up pretty quick though.

At this point (she is 6) I think she knows tuxpaint better than I.  I wanted
to do a coop mode, alas the current tuxpaint plugin structure isn't
particularly friendly to this.