2010 Nov 14 23:49

Re: [vox] ACM programming contest

Harold,

Thanks for the list of the problems. I just logged into UVa and I can't
even seem to solve a relatively basic 3n + 1 problem. My output seems
to work, but my submission kicks back as wrong. It is very agravating.

I will see if I can put together the PC^2 programming contest program
and we can do a run. Otherwise, I'll just stick to UVa online judge.

brian

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 03:01:27PM -0800, Harold Lee wrote:
> Here are a bunch of other good challenges, fwiw:
>
> http://spoj.pl/
>
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Bill Ward <bill@wards.net> wrote:

> >> I'm not a fan of the common contest along the lines of:
> >>   Given this input <a list of foo>, read them in and
> >> sort/pack/search/solve
> >>   and then output the list.  You have till deadline Z... Go!
> >
> > How about selecting a jury of respected people - perhaps those who have
> > spoken at LUGOD meetings in the past? - and asking them to judge.  Pick a
> > general topic, like a video game or an email utility or something, and leave
> > it to the judges to pick the best one(s).  You could make the topic a little
> > specific so as to make it less likely someone could dust off something
> > they'd written long ago and pretending it was new.  Of course the judges
> > shouldn't know who wrote what, for impartiality.
> >
> > As for prizes, perhaps some of those selfsame past speakers work for
> > companies that would be interested in donating something?

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

show their absence!"

Professor Edsger Dijkstra