2010 Nov 11 14:29

Re: [vox] ACM programming contest

Here are some sample problems from the ACM programming contests.
http://www.ntnu.edu.tw/acm/ProblemSetArchive/B_US_PacNW/2001/index.html

http://www.ntnu.edu.tw/acm/ProblemSetArchive/B_US_Rocky/2000/index.html

Or, the UVa website.
http://uva.onlinejudge.org/

They're pretty tough.

brian

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:48:33AM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 07:49:20PM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
> > On 11/10/2010 05:51 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > > I'll run it. Prizes? Someone else can get those. Who is interested in
> > > doing it?
> >
> > I'm not a fan of the common contest along the lines of:
> >    Given this input <a list of foo>, read them in and sort/pack/search/solve
> >    and then output the list.  You have till deadline Z... Go!
>
> Well, I was thinking of list of foo and solve problem and print out result.
> Backtracking, dynamic programming, branch and bound, divide and conquer,
> etc.
>
> Something like a three hour tour with problems of varying degrees of
> difficulty.
>
> I am thinking of configuring the pc^2, put together some problems and
> go. When the time is up, we see who won. pc^2 has the capability to
> limit run times on programs to one minute.
>
> http://www.ecs.csus.edu/pc2/
>
> brian
> --
> Brian Lavender
> http://www.brie.com/brian/
>
> "Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to
> show their absence!"
>
> Professor Edsger Dijkstra
> 1972 Turing award recipient

Brian Lavender