2010 Nov 11 14:26

Re: [vox] ACM programming contest

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 07:49:20PM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 05:51 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > I'll run it. Prizes? Someone else can get those. Who is interested in
> > doing it?
>
> I'm not a fan of the common contest along the lines of:
>    Given this input <a list of foo>, read them in and sort/pack/search/solve
>    and then output the list.  You have till deadline Z... Go!

Well, I was thinking of list of foo and solve problem and print out result.
Backtracking, dynamic programming, branch and bound, divide and conquer,
etc.

Something like a three hour tour with problems of varying degrees of
difficulty.

I am thinking of configuring the pc^2, put together some problems and
go. When the time is up, we see who won. pc^2 has the capability to
limit run times on programs to one minute.

http://www.ecs.csus.edu/pc2/

brian
--
Brian Lavender