2010 Nov 10 11:16

Re: [vox] TOMORROW: PenLUG meeting 11/10/2010

Re: [vox] TOMORROW: PenLUG meeting 11/10/2010

Facebook RSVP at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=160218550681305

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM, <bill@wards.net> wrote:
PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

  |Date:    |Wednesday, November 10, 2010|
  |---------+----------------------------|
  |Time:    |6:00 - 8:00 PM              |
  |---------+----------------------------|
  |         |Bayshore Technology Park    |
  |Location:|1300 Island Drive           |
  |         |Redwood City, CA 94065      |
  |         |Suite 106 - Training Room   |
  |---------+----------------------------|
  |RSVP:    |Facebook: (coming soon)     |
  |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org     |

  Note we are now meeting on Wednesdays! Since March 2010, we moved to the
  fourth Wednesday of each month (except in November and December, when we
  meet on the second Wednesday to avoid holiday conflicts). The meeting is
  hosted by NewlineNoosh. There is no sponsor for food/drinks, so please
  bring a potluck item to share.

  Agenda:

    * 6:00 PM Potluck snacks
    * 6:15 PM Free book giveaways or other prizes
    * 6:30 PM Presentation begins
    * 8:00 PM Meeting ends

 Cathy Malmrose, ZaReason

  When Cathy Malmrose and her husband, Earl had finally had enough of blue
  screens and Saturdays lost on tech support, they turned to LinuxLand^? for
  answers. They found there weren't many companies building computers
  optimized for Linux. Since Cathy had grown up in Redmond, WA and since
  both Earl and Cathy had lived in Austin, TX amongst the Dellionaires, they
  found that it would be quite interesting and fun to create their own
  computer company. In early 2007 they founded ZaReason, Inc. Cathy's
  background includes forming a successful non-profit, Partimus.org that
  supplies educational institutions internationally with Linux-only desktops
  and laptops for school's computer labs, run by Christian Einfeldt.

  Cathy's presentation is titled, "Is Ubuntu Easy Enough for a Six-Year
  Old?" where she will tell the stories that surrounded her family's
  decision to devote their time and careers to building ZaReason. There were
  many funny circumstances involving their entry into Linux. Come enjoy
  hearing about one family's introduction into easier computing. She will
  also be seeking your input, so if you have goodness to share, you are
  warmly invited.

  As one of Cathy's signature presentation "extras", she will be doing a Pop
  Quiz at the end, testing your general knowledge of the History of
  Computing, during which she will offer several prizes.

RSVP

 Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
 people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
 are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

 For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
     http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
     http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
     http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

 Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
 to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
 phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
 (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

 See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
       members@penlug.org
       announce@penlug.org
       sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
       balug-talk@lists.balug.org
       svlug@lists.svlug.org
       svevents@yahoogroups.com
       vox@lists.lugod.org

 Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.

Check out my LEGO blog at http://www.brickpile.com/
View my photos at http://flickr.com/photos/billward/
Follow me at http://twitter.com/williamward