2010 Nov 09 18:06

[vox] TOMORROW: PenLUG meeting 11/10/2010

[vox] TOMORROW: PenLUG meeting 11/10/2010

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   |Date:    |Wednesday, November 10, 2010|
   |---------+----------------------------|
   |Time:    |6:00 - 8:00 PM              |
   |---------+----------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park    |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive           |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065      |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room   |
   |---------+----------------------------|
   |RSVP:    |Facebook: (coming soon)     |
   |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org     |

   Note we are now meeting on Wednesdays! Since March 2010, we moved to the
   fourth Wednesday of each month (except in November and December, when we
   meet on the second Wednesday to avoid holiday conflicts). The meeting is
   hosted by NewlineNoosh. There is no sponsor for food/drinks, so please
   bring a potluck item to share.

   Agenda:

     * 6:00 PM Potluck snacks
     * 6:15 PM Free book giveaways or other prizes
     * 6:30 PM Presentation begins
     * 8:00 PM Meeting ends

  Cathy Malmrose, ZaReason

   When Cathy Malmrose and her husband, Earl had finally had enough of blue
   screens and Saturdays lost on tech support, they turned to LinuxLand^? for
   answers. They found there weren't many companies building computers
   optimized for Linux. Since Cathy had grown up in Redmond, WA and since
   both Earl and Cathy had lived in Austin, TX amongst the Dellionaires, they
   found that it would be quite interesting and fun to create their own
   computer company. In early 2007 they founded ZaReason, Inc. Cathy's
   background includes forming a successful non-profit, Partimus.org that
   supplies educational institutions internationally with Linux-only desktops
   and laptops for school's computer labs, run by Christian Einfeldt.

   Cathy's presentation is titled, "Is Ubuntu Easy Enough for a Six-Year
   Old?" where she will tell the stories that surrounded her family's
   decision to devote their time and careers to building ZaReason. There were
   many funny circumstances involving their entry into Linux. Come enjoy
   hearing about one family's introduction into easier computing. She will
   also be seeking your input, so if you have goodness to share, you are
   warmly invited.

   As one of Cathy's signature presentation "extras", she will be doing a Pop
   Quiz at the end, testing your general knowledge of the History of
   Computing, during which she will offer several prizes.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members@penlug.org
	announce@penlug.org
	sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk@lists.balug.org
	svlug@lists.svlug.org
	svevents@yahoogroups.com
	vox@lists.lugod.org

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.