2010 Oct 26 07:15

Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

The video to me is... weird.  Most of the "perspectives" provided seem to me more that the employees were reluctant to adapt to a slightly different system.  I know that it's one of the primary reasons my mother is always annoyed when I choose to use OpenOffice for something instead of Microsoft Office, because "no one" uses OpenOffice, and therefore it's a waste of time to learn it.

Personally, I see huge potential in learning how to use OpenOffice.org, or more specifically, in developing an understanding of document creation in general across a range of platforms, environments, software suites, and formats, not just a single program such as MS Office or OpenOffice.  An "inability" to adapt to the OpenOffice environment indicates a lack of flexibility that, I think, makes a better employee.  As an employer, I would be looking for people who can change interfaces and still produce the same results regardless of the program used to produce those results.

Also, out of curiosity, are macros even regularly used anymore?  I don't mean this in ignorance, but out of curiosity.  One of the points in the video mentioned the diminished support for macros in OpenOffice.  From what I understand, they pose more security risks than they do useful features, especially with the dreaded macro viruses and what not.  My high school disallowed any execution of macros in Office documents for that reason; I tried to use VB in a macro to create an interactive score card in a PowerPoint, but it wouldn't execute because there was no way to enable macros.  I imagine most businesses would also prefer other means than macros, but I may be wrong.

-Ryan