January 6: Social gathering
2010 Oct 26 05:44

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 01:57:49PM -0700, Will Marshall wrote:

>> And IME, most people who aren't die-hard FOSS advocates don't care about the
>> freedom to inspect/alter code.  I use mostly OSS, but even with Adobe's
>> suckage, there's almost nothing that will pull me away from Photoshop and
>> Illustrator (as well as a few other proprietary apps).
>

> That is truly sad, and IMO, shows a lack of expereince.

No lack of experience on my part.  Lack of 16 bit/channel colour depth
in GIMP is a deal-breaker.  No adjustment layers (okay, I know there
are some "workarounds" for that last one, but too much of a PITA)...
And so on.
Even when there is feature parity, it'll take a bit of a push to trade
using PS for 12 years to make me want to switch.

Sorry, but for me, arguing free/proprietary is like the editor wars,
pointless and stupid.  I like emacs, my last girlfriend liked vi.  I,
and I think most users will use what they like, or what is actually
better for *them.*  GIMP can't do what I need, full-stop.  Linux is
far superior for me than Windows, and slowly getting me off the
iCrack.  Right tool for the right job and all.  And I'd much rather
spend my time showing people that there *are* alternatives out there,
than pointless arguing.

Regards,
Will

--
"As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are
 alone in a Godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe.