2010 Oct 26 00:28

Re: [vox] Fwd: Re: Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 04:00:12PM -0600, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> On 10/25/10 15:37 , Matthew Van Gundy wrote (via
> Bill Kendrick):
> > I stopped using OpenOffice a long time ago in favor of LaTeX and I
> > quietly smile every time I go to a presentation and someone is having
> > trouble with the compatibility of PowerPoint between machines.  It has
> > been a good trade-off for me.  However, I have yet to recommend LaTeX as
> > a substitute to anyone who is not in Computer Science.  It requires more
> > understanding about its principles of operation than the average word
> > processor user can be expected to bring to the table.
>
> I've also switched to LaTeX long ago (Engineer myself) and have had
> similar experiences.  I often advise MS users to convert their
> word/powerpoint document to PDF before sharing or presenting on another
> computer.  Sometimes they take my advice, but often they don't.

I am wishing that I had done this report for my MS project using LaTex.

OpenOffice has strange behaviour. The bibliography works very strange
and seems rather half baked. When I print on GNU/Linux on my Brother
printer, the top margin moves way down despite having it set at 1.5
in. I can't seem to get a figure to rotate to horizontal on the page.
The formatting on the Table of Contents is scrunched together. I just
hope I can get a report is acceptable to the Office of Graduate Studies.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/