2010 Sep 28 22:01

Re: [vox] Dijkstra was ahead of his time!

Re: [vox] Dijkstra was ahead of his time!

Hi Brian,

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:
I just listened to this speech by Disjkstra in 1972, an amazing speech. He
discusses abstraction, something today we only seem to be grasping well
in the field of computer science. I am sure as we move along, Z, VDM
and SPARK/ADA,  Domain Specific languages and formal methods will play
an increasing role. I like Dijkstra's critique of the one liner, very
funny.

For some reason, part 5 has music that you have to
skip over. Mabye it was intermission.

Edsger Dijkstra's Turing Award Speech
1972 Turing Award
8 parts to the speech on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sIlKP2LzbA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS8M5eom80&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKiVz71AVKg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agYsh_z6stY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfn4OmoGdcc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4lDIaGgsM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDvaEiK__B8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-QBD8Ao_oA&feature=related

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"

Professor Edsger Dijkstra
1972 Turing award recipient